Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Saturday, December 19, 2015

What About The 15 Inch Cup?

 What do I think of the fifteen inch cup as marketed to golf by Taylor Made?  My thoughts have changed on the subject after playing a round with them in a tournament at Stevinson Ranch on Fourth Of July, 2014. It was a lot of fun to play them.  I wouldn't want a steady diet of them, as I am a golf purist.
     Stevinson Ranch, I am told, is the first golf course in Northern California to have the fifteen inch cup. It seems as though they will put the fifteen inch holes out in addition to the regular holes and pins, giving golfers a choice of which pins they want to play. Stevinson is to be congratulated for their innovation and wanting to try new ideas for the good of the game.
     The idea is two-fold. The larger cup is supposed to make the game go faster.  Time on the green is lessened because with the larger hole you don't really need a degree in advanced trigonometry or advanced calculus to get the read on a putt. It doesn't take as long to read a putt.  However, the greens still do break and speed is critical.  You must get the ball to the hole, even though that hole is a LOT bigger. Believe me, you can still come up short on a birdie putt.  I know, I did three times.  How can you miss with a cup the size of a hub cap? It is possible.
     The second idea behind the larger cup is that it gets new golfers on the course sooner and gives them a sense of  success in the game, at least when they get on the green. Instead of taking six or seven putts on the green and having to card a 12 or thirteen because of a misread of the the speed or break of a putt, the ball gets into the hole quicker. This actually moves the game along for the beginner and gives them a sense of accomplishment.
     The concept behind the bigger cup is kind of like that in baseball. First when you are just starting out in the game you play tee-ball and then graduate up the steps and levels until you are able to play in the major leagues. Eventually, you graduate from the driving range to the par three course to the big course playing the 15 inch cup to the regulation cup. I think that this is a great idea. At first I didn't, but we have to get creative to get more people into the game, especially now.
     I don't think that the intention is for the fifteen inch cup replace the regulation four and a half inch cup. I'm sixty years old and still a purist. The game requires a lot of skill, and reading a green is a big part of that skill. The fifteen inch cup is there for the growth of the game.
     I have a video that is about the Fourth Of July Tournament at Stevinson.  Take a look at it, I think that you will enjoy it. Here's the link: http://youtu.be/_Kx3Qrv18IE, or you can go to my website at http://the-golf-course-travel-bag.com and see it there. By the way, stop by and visit my website. I am always  updating it and listing new courses and such as well as new golf tips and places to play. Take a look.  In the meantime, hit 'em long and straight.  Don't leave that birdie putt short, even with a fifteen inch cup.
How can you leave a birdie putt short with a fifteen inch cup?  I did, three times. SNAP!
 PS:  This was posted in July of 2014 on my other golf blog.. I am still  not a big fan of the 15 inch cup and Stevinson Ranch has since closed. Check out the video though.  http://youtu.be/_Kx3Qrv18IE

No comments:

Post a Comment