Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Monday, December 21, 2015

Two of Monterey's Finest Courses.

   There are a few courses that we all play that strike fear in our hearts.  We play them only because someone has invited us to play there or our stubborn self says we should so that we can conquer that particular link.  Sometimes it happens, most often we finish our round on that particular course and say, "Why did we do that again.  I know how much I hate that course." We are creatures of habit I guess. I have a couple of courses that fit that criteria for me.  At some time, I will reveal that list, but not today.
    There are a couple of courses that I have said that I didn't like, but have changed my mind after playing them and not giving up on them.  Two come to mind and they are in the Monterey Bay area. One is Bayonet of Bayonet/Blackhorse and the other is DeLaveaga located in the hills above Santa Cruz.
     Both courses at the Bayonet/Blackhorse facility have been redesigned.  Before the redesign I played both courses and I hated Bayonet but kept playing it.  It is very hilly and I even walked it several times. I remember thinking each time walking up the 18th fairway why did I put myself through this misery again? That also goes to my stable set of mind in that if I kept having such a bad experience there each time I played         there, why did I keep playing there?  I have been told that the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result. I preferred Blackhorse as it was what I thought a fairer layout. Both courses were redesigned, though slightly just a few years ago. Now, I think they did an outstanding job on Bayonet but liking Blackhorse is taking a bit of getting used to.
     Bayonet was the tougher of the two courses.  It is well known that the designer of Bayonet was the commanding general of the old Fort Ord and Bayonet/Blackhorse is located on the former army base. The general was left handed and had a viscious left-hand slice.  All the doglegs go at a severe angle to the left so that his slice wouldn't hurt him.  It is certainly pure hell for the right handed player because you run out of fairway on the right and you wind up with a wicked shot our of tall cypress trees lining the fairways.
     All that has been change.  The greens are still tough to putt but the doglegs have been softened.  Don't get me wrong, the course is still a challenge, but it is a reasonable challenge. Blackhorse, on the other hand is a different story.  They made it tougher by adding traps and redesigning the greens, which are undulating.  I hated the course changes at first, but I am beginning to like the course. I used to prefer Blackhorse, but now I like Bayonet.


     I highly suggest you play both courses.  Both courses are impeccably maintained and the greens, although difficult, putt fast and true.  The views from the course are magnificent because the courses are built in the hills above Monterey.  I will say that both courses are demanding and you will be exhausted after you finish your round, but the courses least one of the courses.and the views are well worth it. Oh, and stop by the restaurant after your round for drinks or a meal.  The food is very good and the staff is very friendly.  What a great place to soothe your scars, but I must say you will feel satisfied but tired after playing the courses. Here is my video of the course and I hope when you are in the Monterey Bay Area you could find the time to play at Bayonet/Blackhorse.   https://youtu.be/gVp1W-yI-xU

No comments:

Post a Comment