Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

We Have Been There...

     To all those new golfers and those thinking of taking up the game I just want you to know we have been there.  We have walked a mile in your moccasins. I know that I have and it has been more than a mile, more like thousands of miles. In fact, as Mao said--I'm not a Communist but I like the quote--a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. As a new golfer, you may have gone past that first step, but the learning curve can be frustrating.  Everyone who takes up the game has to go through that stage and you will get through it. Just hang in there and keep on teeing it up. I have a few suggestions for you, and you can put these in the "For What Its Worth" department.
     First of all, for goodness sake don't beat yourself up. It is a simple game meant to be a lot of fun.  I can tell you that it is. Remember, you had to learn to crawl, then stand up and next take your first steps. It took you a long time to learn how to run and some of us have an aversion to running. It will take time and effort to get good at the game but the effort will be well worth it. Not only that but you can make the choice to enjoy what you are doing and get better or get very frustrated. Also remember that your talent level may peak and you may find yourself at a level and stay there.  Enjoy the ride and the handicap system. You are not going to be a touring pro as soon as you pick up a club for your first time.
     Instead of going directly to a full size course, why not try a par 3 or executive course. There are some good ones out there. I coached middle school golfers and their complaint was that we were not playing the full size courses. We practiced at a driving range that had an outstanding par 3 course.  I told them that we would go occasionally to the big course, but until all of them shot under par on the par 3 course, this would be our home. I had trouble with that course myself.
     I will have more on this in my next post. Remember that you are never perfect in golf. Learn to hit the ball first and the rest of the game will come. There is a lot to learn for such a simple looking game. You will always be learning.
     Don't forget to check out our website at http://golfisforeveryonemd.com.
I remember when she started out.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment