Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Friday, December 18, 2015

Golf With Your Feet?

     At first I had my doubts about Foot Golf. I still am not 100% sold on the idea. However, I think that it can be a great help in growing the game of golf. OK people, its time to think outside the box. Our world has changed, all you traditionalists out there. Let's take a hard look at getting more people out to the golf course and playing golf.
     There are three basic criticisms that those who don't even want to take up the game. First, it takes too long, second its too hard and third, it costs too much.  I can understand these concerns and complaints. My first reaction as an experienced golfer is "Don't knock it until you try it". That's not good enough.
     Let's not look at it from a pessimistic glass half empty point of view.We have to look at what is good about our game and pull new people to the course. Golf has a lot to offer in the traditional game, and patience pays off huge dividends once your golf skill level goes up. There is still the issue of time and cost.
     The idea of Foot Golf was not a new one to me when I played regular golf at Cherry Island just north of Sacramento. At first I thought that the idea was kind of stupid and was a definite offense to the game of golf. To me, this was an affront to the noble traditions of the game and Foot Golf was just a stunt to generate revenue for struggling golf courses. Golf courses are to play golf on, not a modified game that looks like golf with your feet and more like soccer--to those of you outside the US I know it is called football. I don't think that I would ever play the game. I love regular golf too much and to tell you the truth, my health doesn't allow me to walk that far.
    My attitudes towards Foot Golf are changing.  Let me put this to you straight, I still think it is a stupid game. It is getting a lot of people out to the golf course. What do these "Foot Golfers" see when they are playing the sport on the golf course?  They see golfers and the game of golf being played.  They see golfers enjoying the real game of golf. They see the social aspect of the game and the nineteenth hole. Many who don't play regular golf will think that this is pretty "cool" and want to see what the real thing is all about. Some of the "Foot Golfers" are golfers themselves, I realize but a majority are not. This is a great way to introduce new players to the game.
    Hey golfers, I mean regular golfers, why not strike up a conversation with one of these "Foot Golfers" about their game.  I know that this may run contrary to many of our inner golfer selves, but take one for the team and talk to one of these strangers. You may like what you hear about "Foot Golf" and get into it in addition to regular golf--Bite your tongue, David. The purpose here is to let the "Foot Golfer" know how much fun regular golf can be and that we would welcome them into the family. Remember too, they are paying fees to play on the course, so that keeps your green fees lower and the course open.  As long as "Foot Golfers" respect the course and our game, I am OK with that.
    I have to run.  My wife is again calling me to help her on the church choir Christmas Program.  Of course as I have said I have been involuntarily volunteered to help on this one too.  I do sing bass in the choir so I do have to be in the rehearsals, but putting up the Great big 10 foot by 10 foot Audio Visual screen is a bear. Don't forget to check out the website.  We still need your contributions so get them to me at golfisforeveryonemd@gmail.com. Also, the website address is http://golfisforeveryonemd.com.  Remember, golf is for everyone.
The Cherry Island set up for "Foot Golf".  You can see the Foot Golf green is separate from the regular green as well as separate tees.  The game is played in the late afternoon so as not to interfere with regular golf.  
   













   
     

No comments:

Post a Comment