Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

I Am A Golfer

     There is something I must share with you that is very important in my life. This I can say with a great amount of conviction and I am very proud to be able to say it. I am a golfer.
     There are a lot of misconceptions about the game I play and those who play it. Those misconceptions and untruths are fostered and kept going by those who mostly have never played the game or been on a golf course. Those who criticize the game probably have never been exposed to the real game and those who play it. This is a shame.  Another thing that they fail to understand is golf is more than a game played on a grass field with sticks and balls. It is life and almost an identity.
      Not all golfers are "rich, white men". Yes, the "Country Club" is quite nice but we are not always a member.  In fact, the average golfer is not a member of any private club but plays at either a public course or a city owned municipal course. I confess that at one time I was a member of a semi-private golf course, but this was an economic decision not driven by the fact I wanted something exclusive. I will not apologize for that.  My daughter and son played golf so it was more economical to pay a monthly unlimited family golf rate than to pay a green fee each time I took my family out to play or they played by themselves. It also must be said that although a great course and well maintained the club was not totally private, the membership was very diverse in ethnic makeup and economic stature.  This was an everyman's course and club, which the public could play by the way.
       I don't play Pebble Beach or Augusta National on a regular basis. Every now and then I treat myself to a round of golf in Monterey but it is not on the 17 Mile Drive. Most likely at Monterey Pines or at Pacific Grove Municipal is where I will tee it up where green fees are under $50. When I am at home in Merced I play a couple of nearby public courses and pay about $38 on weekends and less during the week.  You won't find any of the courses I play on a regular basis on a Golf Digest Top 100 Courses list, but they are still a joy to play.  This is what golf truly is, not what you see in Golf Digest or on TV.
      The golfers that I know and enjoy the game are a diverse lot. There are a couple of my good friends that are trying to get me to join MAGA, or The Mexican American Golf Association. What is great is that it really doesn't matter. At the courses I play at I have played with people from all ethnic, economic, political and religious backgrounds. A lot of women play where I play, many of whom I wouldn't want to get into a money game with--including my wife. If anything, golf is the sport that truly brings all people together to play a great game and enjoy each other's fellowship.
     Golf is more than just a "Rich, White Man's" sport. At the course, you are not white, black, hispanic or asian or native american, male or female. We play together because we enjoy the game of golf.  We are brother and sister golfers, and to boil that down we are all golfers. We are family.  All are welcome.
Home away from home.
   
Please take a minute to watch the video on Rancho Del Rey. Its a great course. Here is the video:
https://youtu.be/te1j9JtiImY












No comments:

Post a Comment