Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

You're Darned Right We Do!

     As I was scrolling through my FaceBook page this morning I saw a post that was curious to me. The post was asking the question do we need more women in golf. It struck as kind of an odd question. Of course the answer to this is very obvious. You're darned right we do. I am very glad it was posted because sometimes we don't shed light on the obvious. Women must be encouraged to play and if they haven't already, to take up the game.
     My wife plays golf. She has played softball almost at the professional level and also played basketball and volleyball in college. She was introduced to golf in San Diego when she was a youth minister at a local church.  She got hooked and now is hooked for life. We try to go out together as much as we can and enjoy the game together. We haven't been able to lately because she has had some shoulder and knee problems and I have had health issues as well. Our health problems have pretty much improved so we plan to play soon and play more often.  She is a lot of fun to golf together with as she brings a very competitive attitude to the game. Plus, she is not a bad golfer either.
     My daughter plays golf. In fact, if you see a 5' 3" petite girl walking up to the first tee and she tries to interest you in a friendly money game, think twice. She loves to take money from unsuspecting strangers and she can play. She went to the California State High School Girls Tournament in her freshman year and just missed it in her senior year. After high school she played at a local community college going to the California Junior College Women't State Tournament that year. She hits the ball a mile and is a major contributor to the reason I have back problems today from trying to out drive her.
     I admit to this.  I used to pack up my clubs and toodled off to the golf course for a day of fun on the links leaving wife and family home. I tried to get my first wife into the game, but she never cared for it. I did try, seriously but I did get my son to take up the game and also my youngest daughter that I mentioned. Gentlemen, we have to change our attitudes towards women on the course. We need to encourage those who wish to take up the game to do so. Those who are already playing we need to encourage and make it possible for them to enjoy the game as much as we men do. Guys, it may be time for an attitude adjustment as far as women on the course and include them in the great game we play.
     Please don't call me sexist when I say this. I truly don't intend it to be that way, but when you were born in the 50's you have some conflicting ways of saying things. Why not have daycare at the golf course? Let's free moms up to play. This actually can be beneficial to the game in that it gets more moms out to play and it can be an early introduction to golf with the kids. That may have been stated rather clumsily, but at least I hope I got the point across.
     Yes gentlemen, Eve did give us that apple in the Garden of Eden but it may be time to forgive her for that. As far as golf is concerned, all should be forgiven and she should take her rightful place in the golfing community.

Next time let's have her play from the men's tee if she is going to bomb it 280. That's my girl.












No comments:

Post a Comment