Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Tradition, TRADITION!

     I don't know how many of you have seen either the musical play or the movie Fiddler On The Roof. It is well worth the time to see it if you haven't. The main character is Tevye the Jewish dairyman who, through the whole story set in pre-revolution Russia, has to deal with the changing modern world around him and the centuries old traditions of Jewish life. He doesn't quite know how to deal with those changes and is not comfortable with them even though those changes are inevitable. Tevye bent and accepted many of those changes, but he didn't break.
      It has been a long time since I have seen the movie and I haven't seen the stage play so forgive me if I am not exactly accurate with this. The play and movie open up to a scene in the village which shows the village and how it runs. Each of the villagers go about their daily lives and how they fit into the society of the old village each having their own job and purpose. This is the way it has been for ages and the thought is it will continue for ages. The camera or action comes to Tevye, the main character who starts to sing a song.  That song is Tradition, Tradition! which he sings very confidently. Tevye's world begins to change as the new ideas and ways begin to creep into and affect his life.
      Right now, golf is at that "Fidler On The Roof" crossroad. It has to deal with the social changes that are taking place around it and learn to adapt to those changes if it is to grow.We play a game that over 400 years old and steeped in tradition. However, we don't play the game the same way it was played when it began. This may be a sacrilegious statement, but changes have been made. By the same token, we don't have to throw the baby out with the bathwater and strip our game of all tradition and rules.
      We play with a very specific set of rules. But those rules have changed and evolved. How many of you remember taking a drop by throwing the ball over your shoulder?  I still do and was amazed when that rule was changed.
      I remember when woods were woods, in fact I still have my old persimmon headed driver. I used to play steel shafts, but now my clubs are graphite. The ball we play is not three piece hard outer shell with rubber bands wrapped around a liquid center. The balls now are solid and layered. These are a far cry from the "featherie" balls or even the rocks that were used when the game was invented.
     I love playing in the warmer weather wearing shorts and a collard shirt. Are my shoes spiked or spikeless?  I prefer spiked and remember the days we played in metal spikes instead of plastic but I also have a pair of spikeless shoes and have played some of my best rounds in them.  I can't imagine playing in knickers, long sleeve shirt and tie.  Yes, things change.
     It is clear that we must make changes in the game as far as attitudes are concerned as well as rules and how the game itself is played. Changes are inevitable and must be made. But change for the sake of change is not good either. The rich history and traditions of the game must be respected and upheld as well.
Golf is for everyone.

Tradition, TRADITION!











No comments:

Post a Comment