Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Saturday, October 17, 2015

I Got My PGA Card Out Of A Box Of Crackerjack

     You really sliced that one into the woods, didn't you Bob.  I can get rid of that slice in a minute. Here's what you do. Try it. Oh, I'm on the tee. Wow, I really hooked that one into the lake.
     How many of you reading this have ever given advice and a quasi lesson to a friend out on the golf course? Are they still your friend or do they not return your phone calls knowing that you are asking them to join you for another lesson--uh game of golf? I see it so many times on the course. A playing partner or friend just can't resist. You have hit some really bad shots and they just can't resist telling you how to correct the problem. Most of time they have some huge holes in their game and really don't know what they are talking about. You have to ask, where did you get your PGA card out of a box of Cracker Jack?
     I admit that I am guilty to a certain extent of this. However, I am a student of the game, and know a lot about the swing plus the game itself. I am not a teaching pro and don't claim to be. My resume does include coaching golf at the high school and middle school level, captaining or club match play team and competing at both the club and state tournament level. I have been studying the game for more than 48 years and have developed a knowledge base of the game. Most of the time, I know what I am doing wrong and it is just a matter of bad execution of the shot on my part.  I am able to correct the mistake. That's just me though.
     If someone asks me what I think is happening in their swing out on the course when we are playing I say what I think but I make sure that information is filed in their "for what it's worth" file. I always say, "Don't take it from me, I'm an 18 handicapper.  What do I know?  Maybe you should see a pro to see exactly what is happening."  I don't say do this to correct that, and I sure as heck don't say, "Hey, you need a lesson from a pro because your game stinks."
     I love it when a fellow hack gives a lesson to another hack out on the course. I just shake my head and chuckle. This is a very good example of the blind leading the blind. Oh, and I didn't get my PGA card out of a box of Cracker Jack. Truth is, inside the Cracker Jack as I finished eating that wonderful mix of peanuts and carmel corn, my prize was a cheap little comic book explaining the finer points of putting. The bottom line is, take a lesson from a trained PGA pro.

See Mark, I have taken a lesson before. I know, that's a terrible finish but I was 70 pounds heavier.













       

No comments:

Post a Comment