Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Road Trip Today

     I am on the road to Monterey today and I have my sticks in the car. My wife is flying back from Texas today, so it is a day for me to play golf. Trying a course in the Monterey area I haven't played yet but has been on my list for a long time.  I will let you know how it goes. In the meantime, enjoy this post I took from another blog I write. See you tomorrow with another post.
     Here it is and I hope you enjoy it.

  I want to start today's entry with a very sincere THANK YOU to all of you who are reading this golf blog.  I passed a milestone today in that I went passed the 2000 view mark. I have had this blog now for a couple of years, but I haven't been posting to it that often, concentrating on my other blog David Rallis Writes.  Now, I am doing both and plan on posting much more on this blog.  Again, THANK YOU, and I hope you will continue to visit and read.  Don't forget to tell three of your friends about this blog, I can use the help.
     My last post was on California golf and I mentioned golf paradise, Monterey.  When people think of Monterey, they generally think of Pebble Beach and the great courses on The Seventeen Mile Drive. These are very beautiful courses, but there is more to the Monterey golf scene than just Pebble Beach, Spyglass or Cyprus Point. Here is a list of ten courses in the area I have played and enjoyed. Most were not that expensive to play and you can play them when and if you go to Monterey.  Be sure to check out their websites andbook your tee time by clicking the advertisement for Tee-Off.com here on my blog.
      These are all course within a ten mile radius of Monterey and I have played them all.. There are many other courses to the east and north of the area, but I am focusing here on just the Monterey area. I have a list of other courses within a 50 mile radius another time.  Here they are and not in any order of favorites, because I loved them all.

1. Bayonet:  I used to really hate this course and always thought that I would beat it some day.  Even though I keep playing it, they have softened it and it is a lot more player friendly and fun but I still haven't beaten it.  It is still a tough course, but I enjoy it more since they redesigned it.  However, in the redesign they retained most of the courses flavor and fun.

2.  Blackhorse:  I used to love to play this course especially after being beaten up by Bayonet. It is Bayonet's sister course and they are located on the same property, the old Fort Ord.  They redesigned Blackhorse as well and made it harder. Life changes I guess, and there is no perfect world. I still like the course though, its still fun to play, but it is a lot harder with more bunkers and undulating greens.

3.  Pacific Grove Golf Course:  When they say that this is "The Poor Man's Pebble Beach" they really mean it.  I recommend this course highly.  The view of The Pacific Ocean from the holes on the ocean are well worth it as you play the back nine in the dunes above the ocean and below the Pt. Pinos lighthouse. My advice for this course is don't underestimate its short length as it can be tough. I was also told of it being unique in that you start with two par threes, then two par fours and then two par fives.

4.  Monterey Pines (Know locally as "The Navy Course"):  I am in the process of writing a book called, "Have You Played...The Hidden Gems of West Coast Golf" and of all the courses I could write about, this is probably the most hidden or at least unknown.  It is on the campus of The Naval Post Graduate School in Monterey and is owned by the Navy so most people think you can't play it. Let me let you in on a little secret.  It is owned by the Navy but is very much open to the public. This is a sporty course and pretty short, but tricky and challenging.  The course is always in great condition and has some nice views of Monterey.

5.  Poppy Hills:  OK, this one is on The Seventeen Mile Drive.  What's wrong with that?  It is the members course of The Northern California Golf Association and I'm not going to explain who they are. The course was in the rotation of courses for The AT&T Pro-Am but was taken out. Recently, it underwent a complete renovation and I haven't played it since the renovation. I like the course, although I never play it well. It is hard to get on because there seems to always be an N.C.G.A. tournament going on, but well worth the effort of trying to get on.  If you can't get on, try Monterey Pines.

6.  Old Del Monte:  This is one of the oldest courses west of the Mississippi in continuous operation.  That fact is debated by several other courses, but does it matter?  I haven't played here in a very long time because I don't think it warrants the expense. The course is a lot of fun and has a few great holes, but it is very similar to Monterey Pines and I would rather spend less money and play Monterey Pines. Don't call me cheap, just value orientated.

7.  Laguna Seca:  Yes, there is a golf course at Laguna Seca, not just a race track.  The course is located about five miles out of Monterey on Highway 68, the road to Salinas.  Generally, when Monterey is foggy, Laguna Seca is warm and sunny. The course is fun to play and has some memorable holes on it, but I would say it is not that exciting. That is not to say that I don't recommend it.  Play it, it is very reasonable as far as green fees, and decide for yourself.

8.  Spanish Bay:  Thank you Tom Watson for taking this old sans quarry and transforming into a golf work of art. My only question is, why did you make it such a hard work of art. This is one tough golf course. It will really beat you up. However, and this is a big however, it is so pretty you don't mind the beating.  There are ocean holes and forest holes, all told a beautiful setting. This is one that you play, do your best and sit back and enjoy. I have played it several times, never scored on it and got beat up each time. It was well worth the experience. Make sure to be here at sunset to hear the piper.  That experience alone soothes the wounds after your round.

9.  Quail Lodge:  This is a resort course located in Carmel Valley.  Like Laguna Seca, the climate here is warmer and most of the time it is sunny here when it is cloudy in Monterey. You won't see any ocean here as you are a few miles inland.  This course is fun to play but tight. The fairways are tight and the greens are small so the course puts a premium on accuracy. The Lodge has golf packages available and it is not hard to get on. Green fees are a bit pricey, but check the internet for specials.

10.  Tehama Country Club:  I confess that I have not played this one.  I was supposed to, but the offer fell through. I know that a journalist's credibility is sacred and if you feel that I have betrayed you, I'm truly sorry. This is Clint Eastwoood's private course and if you are not a member you better know Clint or Dina or Clint's new girlfriend. This course is ultra exclusive and is Clint's private domain.

     Should you travel to Monterey, I highly recommend playing. It truly is golf paradise.  You can get clearer idea of these courses and see some pictures taken on some of them by going to my website at http://the-golf-course-travel-bag.com.
     Thanks for reading my blog and hit 'em long and straight.  Don't leave that birdie putt short!

     I'm off to Montery.  I will let you know about the course and how I liked it.


Yep, Beautiful Monterey.















     

No comments:

Post a Comment