Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Sunday

     Today is Sunday. I like to take Sunday off because it is a busy family day for me. Today's post is a repost from my other blog.  Here it is and I hope you enjoy it. There may be some points that you agree with and maybe some you don't. It is about the things I don't like about golf, but believe me there is more to golf to love than to dislike.  That is why I keep playing the game.

 Yesterday, I wrote about the ten things I like in golf.  As I explained in the post, these were not the things I liked most or least, they were just ten things I like. They were not in any order as well and there are many more and I will share those with you later as I think about them. I hope you enjoyed the list.
     This is a polar world we live in.  The world has its North and South Poles. Good has its opposite, bad. Love has its opposite, hate.  So it is with me.  I have what I love about the game, and I have what I don't exactly like or what strikes me as not exactly good. Yesterday was what I liked about golf and today will be what I think is the negative aspect of the game, at least from my perspective.  Here goes.

1.  Golfers that play once a year can really make a round unbearable, especially if you are playing behind them. I'm not talking about the ones who only play once a year and come out because a good friend has asked them to play.  I'm talking about the "Once A Year, Let's Buy A Lot Of Beer And Tear Up The Place Because A Golf Course Is a Great Place To Get Drunk" group.  You know what I'm talking about. In most cases, they come out with no respect for the course and tear it up.

2.  I don't like idiots, sober or drunk who do not respect the course. These are the guys that don't respect the "Keep Carts On The Cart Path" sign.  Now granted, some of the greens keepers have a tendency to put the "No Carts"  signs a bit too far away from the green, but on a par 3 when it says no carts, that means no carts.  These are also guys that take a huge divot out of the fairway, and laugh about it without pouring sand in the divot.

4.  This one is a two for one, I guess. Speaking of not repairing your divots, that is a pet peeve of mine as well. Don't complain about a fairway or green that is like the surface of the moon and not repair your divots on the green and in the fairway. Courses should make sure that there is turf builder, or at least sand in the container on the cart and everyone should carry a divot repair tool for divots on the green.  I repair mine and one more.

5.  I don't like those people who complain about the condition of a course and do not repair their divots.  Most people when they play a "goat track" should expect "goat track" conditions. The same is true for a great course. Respect the course and help manage it and the course will be in good condition.


6. I hate fivesomes that don't play fast. You can visit and have a great time, but make sure you understand that there are others playing behind you.  I have played behind fivesomes that play faster than a lot of twosomes, but that is rare. The stories I could tell you about on this one. Let's just leave it at I don't like slow fivesomes.

7.  When I hook up with a couple of guys on the first tee, I want guys who will chat between shots.  I am a social kind of guy and like to chat about whatever, and especially about the great game we play. If I get hooked up with someone who is taking their round very seriously and not talking almost to the point of ignoring me, I don't like that.  Yes, you keep silent when someone is hitting but between shots is time to visit. I have to admit that when I do play in a tournament, I get very serious most of the time.  I can be guilty of getting in that zone and not being sociable, but that is a different story. Chatting and cracking jokes loosens me up most of the time.

8.  I don't like "hard" distance golf balls. I am not a distance player, but a finesse player.  I like a golf ball that "dances" around the green. The short game is my friend.  I can't do what I do around the green with a hard distance ball.

9.  I don't like "trash talk" in the game of golf.  This is a gentleman's game.  It is not football, basketball or baseball.  There is no place in the game for a trash mouth and trashing another player. Encouragement should be the rule, not tearing someone down. OK, maybe a little bit.

10.  I hate "lip outs" for whatever score, birdie or quadruple bogey.

     I guess that you could say that these are annoyances in the game of golf.  There are many, and most of them involve golfers themselves. With all the annoyances in the game, I love to play the game and won't let those annoyances bother me to the point that I will leave the game. It is a great game, and I love playing it.
     Don't forget to stop by and visit my website. All the courses that are in the course directory I have played personally. You will also find a lot of other great "golf stuff" there as well including course U-Tube videos and some great U-tube videos on instruction and tips. I didn't do the "Tips" videos of course.  Think about that one for a moment.  Would you really want a golfer like me to give you golf tips?  At any rate, check out the website, http://the-golf-course-travel-bag.com.
     Until next time, hit 'em long and straight.  Don't you dare leave that birdie putt short.

    Make sure to like us on our Facebook page, http://facebook.com/golfisforeveryone.  By the way, I am mad at work trying to get the website up and running and the prototype should be up and running soon. Look for it and join us.

Come play Pacific Grove with me some time. 










 

No comments:

Post a Comment