Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Do Computers, Golf and Old Farts Like Me Mix?

     As I was going through my normal my day today, it occurred to me that I hadn't posted. Oh my gosh, what do I write about today. Then it hit me as I was posting on FaceBook and checking my email messages. I was doing this all on a computer. Hey, wait a minute. I come from simpler times. How did I get so dependent on a computer? I was born in the 1950's and am entering the status of "Old Fart". I still like paper and pencil, but I am writing this on a computer. Oh no, I have stumbled into the electronic age.
     There is one thing that I can take comfort in.  The electronic age hasn't crept into the game of golf. There is no way.  It is an ancient game where the object is to hit a white ball over an open patch of turf and get that little white ball into a small four and a half inch hole. You swing at the ball with a stick and and get it into the hole in as few swings as possible.  Nothing technological about that except counting the number of swings with the stick on you fingers. No batteries required for that one.
     Golf is still played over a grassy landscape with hazards placed before the golfer such as bunkers and water. The land is natural and shaped by only the terrain of that land.  There are no computers out here. This is nothing to do with computers. They measure the distances from tee to green by hand, either a tape measure or a walking measure device. What's that you just said?  The distances were measured just last month more accurately using Global Positioning Satellite Measurement.  Is that a computer?
     I don't use a distance measuring device. I still count sprinkler heads and estimate distance from the respective 200/150/100 yard markers.  That's when you are really playing golf. OK, so there are times when you want an accurate distance so I check my phone's GPS distance AP. After all, I need to know the exact distance over that water. A laser rangefinder is not cheating. It is just a beam of light.  I don't want to cheat by using a computer on the course. The game must remain pure as it has for centuries.
     You don't need a computer to build a golf club or a ball either. Give me some rubber, an efficient aerodynamic dimple pattern and I'm set. You don't need to figure out a drag co-efficient or compression ratio when you open a sleeve of Titleists. I am just going to take them out on the course and whack them, that's it.  Who needs a computer?
    Clubs are such a simple thing. They are meant to do one thing, hit the ball.  No computer is necessary.
What is this?  What is the launch angle off a five iron?  What is my swing speed and launch angle?  How is that going to affect my game and why should I know that. What flex is my shaft? It's a standard men's senior flex with a high kick point. What do you mean that is all measured by computer and computer designed?
      Hey wait a minute.  Computers HAVE crept into our game. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I guess I will just go out and find a course to play. As an "Old Fart" I surrender to the electronic age.
Let's see, what's that website so I can find a tee time?
     
Motoring off into the electronic age. the cart is electric by the way. Doesn't have a computer measuring system on board so I'm safe.












            

No comments:

Post a Comment