Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Monday, January 11, 2016

With a Gentle Plop And Roar Of The Crowd Vs. Hit 'Em Hard And Hurt 'Em

     Congratulations Jordan Spieth for your win at the Tournament Of Champions at Kapalua, Hawaii.  You conducted yourself as a true sportsman and champion  Be proud of yourself as I am sure your family is. The way you handled yourself, your attitude toward the game and your outlook on life is truly a high example that shines like a lighthouse on a rocky coastal point in a foggy night. You are a great role model and this is only the beginning of a stellar career.
     What a weekend this was as far as contrast in the sports world.  This weekend was the NFL Wild Card Playoff weekend with some well played and interesting games. Of course, it was also the weekend of the Tournament of Champions Golf Tournament held at Kapalua, Hawaii. What a difference between two sports of which I both enjoy. The game I watched on TV from Cincinnati was not exactly sport and was in very high contrast to Jordan Spieth's win at Kapalua.
     Football is a sport of honor and drama that is played out in a violent and physical way. I have to admit that to indict all of football for what happened Saturday night in Cincinnati would not be fair. All of football is not like that and there is still sportsmanship and honor in the game  What happened in the Bengal's game however mirrored much of what is wrong in our society today. It kind of mirrors what can be called the "entitlement" attitude and the idea that if I get what I want, its OK.  Football is a rough sport and winning IS everything.  I get that, but don't try to physically hurt someone to try to attain that goal. Playing within the rules and winning is far more satisfying than cheating or playing dirty. By the way, who won the game in Cincinnati? In fact, that dirty play lost the Bengal's the game.
     Golf is very different. In fact, I would stick my neck out and say it is the last true sport.  This is a bit of a cliche I know but I am going to say it.  What other sport totally depends on the integrity of the player and calls for that player to call a penalty on themselves? I didn't see that in the Bengal's game. I have called penalties on myself during a tournament round of golf, a penalty that nobody saw but myself. Its hard, but it is part of the game. I didn't blame the official either.
      You didn't see any cheap or late hits at Kapalua. Yes, I know that golf is not a contact sport most of the time. You did see some good natured fun like the practical joke war going on between Ricky Fowler and Danny Lee. Neither of them took a shoulder and put an illegal hit on the other, even though the jokes that they played on each other were pretty hysterical. I know there is trash talk in golf, but at least you don't see it on camera between competitors, and players complement each other for great shots.
      Congratulations again Mr. Spieth. You are truly a sportsman and gentleman. You did it right in a game that is the greatest.
I actually got to play in this.  What an experience.
















No comments:

Post a Comment