Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Monday, January 18, 2016

Just Average and Having Fun--Part 3

     You will probably be happy about this one. This will be the final installment on this series of posts on Just Average and Having Fun.  When you boil it all down though, I am just an average golfer.  I love golf.  It is just that simple and when I play, watch, write or even talk about golf I am having a lot of fun. The game to me is just that way.  I again ask the question why am I not getting better?
     Yes, I have done some deep soul searching and for me it all boils down to three things--time, commitment and cost.  I am sure that these three issues confront all golfers, especially those who want to improve. Once again though, a conscious decision has to be made to attack them and you have to ask how important they are to conquer. In my case, here is what I came up with.
     I am a retired teacher, so you would think that time would not be an issue.  I have found that when you retire, there are still many demands on your time. Yes, I don't get up in the morning to get ready to go teach my class because that stage in my life is past.  However, new demands for my time have arisen.  My wife still works so I do much of the work around the house. I also help with our grandchild.  We have chosen to have only one car at this point so my wife uses the car most of the time to go to work and back. When I have access to the car, it is usually to run errands she can't because she is at work. All this not to mention trying to create the "Golf Is For Everyone" brand working on the website, FaceBook page and blog. Time just seems to melt away. I though that I would be spending more time on the golf course, but that as of yet has not happened.
     Cost is a big factor for me. When I was playing a lot I was a member of a local semiprivate golf course. I had a family membership and my family could play as well. Unfortunately, life circumstances kind of got in the way and that all changed. I retired from teaching, divorced, remarried and moved away from the town I was living in.  My wife plays golf as well, and that is a good thing but now instead of just walking on the course because I was paying a monthly fee for playing I have to pay green fees for both my wife and I. We could get an inexpensive membership, but that is not financially realistic for us.
    New equipment has its costs as well. I have been playing the same set of clubs now for about five years.  Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe it is the player and not the clubs. I am not one to change clubs often.  I also have had the same putter for more than ten years.  I have tried other putters, but I love mine. What can I say. Balls are expensive as well, with ProV's or other premium balls running at around $40 a dozen.
     My commitment to play has sort of waned in the past couple of years.  I have gone from playing up to four times a week to playing just one time in maybe three months. Its not that I don't want to play, things just seem to get in the way. It is a lot harder now and I am less inclined to clear the decks to play golf.  This would probably improve if we had a second car and my health has been an issue but for now I have to be content with playing less frequently. I don't mind that and I am having no withdrawal symptoms. I want to play, but that burning desire to get our on the course and play isn't as strong.
     I love golf.  Don't get me wrong and I think that that desire to play will return. As the weather gets better I'm sure that the flames of desire to play will be fanned.  I enjoy all aspects about the game including writing and talking about it. Right now, it just isn't the priority that it used to be.  
I do miss playing.












No comments:

Post a Comment