Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Friday, January 22, 2016

Lessons? Me? Part 2

     So why don't I take a lesson?  I know that they are important and if you are sick you see a doctor, right? I could say something about the present state of the medical industry here in the US, but this is not a political blog and that would be going off the subject.  I've been know to stray off the subject a bit, but on this I will keep on the subject of why I don't take a lesson.
    Remember that time, cost and commitment issue that I brought up in my post about why the average golfer isn't getting better?  I have a confession to make.  I was talking directly about myself.  I am a student of the game and know a lot about the game as well as how to play it.  That includes how to swing a club.  I am a great putter and short game artist. My scores do go down when I play a lot. My big problem is that I don't play a lot anymore. That's a shame, isn't it?
    So why DON'T I take a lesson?  I really haven't answered that question yet, have I? It is very simple, really and I take responsibility for the reason. I don't want to spend the time--I just want to go out and play golf.  I don't want to spend the money--the $65 or whatever the rate is for a lesson, I just want to go out and play. Finally, I don't have the commitment to making a change--I just want to go out and play a round of golf. That about sums it all up for me. I can't speak for all golfers who are in the "Average Golfer" family and I am sure that every "Average Golfer" has their reasons. Those are my particular reasons.
     When I go out to the golf course, I have one thing in mind.  I want to get out on the course and play golf. The game takes up a lot of time as it is.  I don't want to take the time to take a lesson.  The driving range is sort of a lost cause because I want to save my back for the shots on the course. My pre-round routine may include hitting some putts on the practice green and some chips around the green, but that's it. I am not in the best of physical shape and my back is suspect at best. Working out at the gym does me a lot more good than taking a lesson and beating the ball to death and trying to make changes in my swing. Let's get out there and play some golf.
     As a matter of fact, I don't play much golf now anyway.  That is because I don't have the cash right now. Since my wife plays and that's a good thing, the cost of golf has doubled for me as well. I can't leave her at home because the doghouse is neither heated nor air conditioned.She doesn't always go out to the course with me but if I can't pay two green fees, I am certainly not going to invest $65 in a lesson. Something has got to give, and it is not going to be the round of golf. To be sure, it will be the $65 lesson.
     I am afraid that I suffer from a lack of commitment when it comes to improving my golf game. Do you remember the Madonna song "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"? well, that's me with regards to my golf game.  I just want to have fun, and if that means playing the game I have, so be it.
     It probably can be said that if I improved my game, I would enjoy it better. As far as my game is concerned that is true. However, when I play a lot I do get better and my scores go down. The doubles turn to bogies and the pars turn to birdies. That is just the way my game is.  I am a "feel" player and I lose that feel when I don't play. Right now I am not committed to playing a lot so my game suffers. I will play more soon though and I will keep you posted on how my game is doing.
     I am not saying that you shouldn't take a lesson or two, far from that. I highly recommend that you take lessons from a PGA professional and that you find one that you are comfortable with and can learn from. What I am saying is that I don't, but maybe I should take my own advice. My logic on this one is probably flawed, but I am going to keep on playing.

I must admit that it is good to see your swing and what you are doing. I lost 70 pounds and started to work out in the gym and that helped my game.



















No comments:

Post a Comment