Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Thursday, January 28, 2016

This One's On Us

     I love FaceBook. It is a great way to communicate with others that have similar likes and tastes.  No pun intended by the way, but its true. However many of us have "Friends" that only are "Freinds" because of a certain common activity or interest. I am not saying that is bad, in fact it is a good thing. But FaceBook also brings us together.  We all have "Friends"  who we have diverse interests. This is also true in life itself. We share our differences, which makes life interesting. How many of you share the game of golf with friends who do not play golf?
     As you probably know, I share the game a lot on FaceBook and through other social media sites such as Twitter. I write my posts and put them up on Twitter and FaceBook for my "Friends" to see and read.  That's a great thing and I appreciate those of you who read what I write and post. However, I got to thinking the yesterday about who my audience is. I have to say, most of my audience are golfers.  In effect, I am sort of preaching to the choir--I love that cliche.  Most of you who are reading this are golfers or have played golf. Believe me, I don't want you to stop playing golf or reading this but we need to start thinking about how we are going to bring the game we know and love to our friends who don't play golf.  Its up to us to grow the game. This one is on us.
     You may be thinking isn't that the golf pro's job.  You probably would be correct in saying that it is. It is their job, however not their only one and that job has become less and less important to golf course operators. Unfortunately what has happened is that the pro has become a retailer and salesman not directly selling the game itself. Their focus has become the golf playing community. Their "circle" has become narrowed to only those who play golf.
     Reaching out to the non-golfing community to grow the game has become low on most pro's priority list. Their jobs have drifted due to the nature of the golf business itself from ambassadors of the game whose job it is to grow and teach the game to retailer of golf products and services.  Most pros have abandoned goals to grow the game in favor of turning a profit for the golf course or facility. I am not criticizing golf pros as most pros work very hard, it is just the way it is like a lot of things in this world. The almighty dollar is king and the "bottom line" makes the world go around.
     It is up to us, ladies and gentlemen who play golf and consider themselves golfers.  Like a lot of things, we "lay" people have become more import than ever in growing the game. We have to be the main instruments to growing the game. Our role of "Golf Abassadors" has become more important than ever since the energy that pros can give to that part of their jobs is declining. They simply do not have the time with all the duties that have been placed on them by the very nature of the golf industry. It is time for us and players to reach out to those who do not play. It has to come from us otherwise the game will continue to suffer a decline in those who play.

The bench awaits new players to the game. You can help get them playing.












No comments:

Post a Comment