Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Monday, January 25, 2016

Lessons? Me? Part 3

     Change comes very hard for me. I can give you a couple of examples as I am sitting here. I am out of coffee, but I need a caffeine fix so I made myself a cup of tea. Its not that I don't like tea as a billion or more people in this world prefer tea over coffee. I just prefer a cup or two of "joe" in the morning and I do like tea but rarely make myself a cup. Change can be good in many cases, but for me it is difficult.
    This weekend we had the Career Builder Challenge played in Palm Desert California.  As many of you pure golfers know, this used to be The Bob Hope Desert Classic.  I refuse to call it anything else than that. Who is the sponsor for The Andy Williams San Diego Open played at Torrey Pines?  What about The Sammy David Jr. Los Angeles Open and Bing Crosby's name is no longer firmly attached to the four day tournament at Pebble Beach. I guess I am just set in my ways, and getting more so as I get older.
     I have asked this question in the two posts before this one. I don't know that the answers that I gave were entirely truthful. There is one basic reason I don't take a lesson.  I am afraid to change. Any changes I make will effect my game and I am not sure I want to go through that experience. Can't you just leave me alone and let me play golf? I am OK with shooting in the high 80's to low 90's.
     In all teaching there is something called the learning curve.  While learning something new, your performance suffers until you have mastered that skill.  For most that curve is about thirty to sixty days.  It also translates into about twelve rounds of golf.  Do I really want to devote twelve or more rounds of golf to something new which I really don't know is going to lower my score.  Not only that, I paid for that change that will cause a lot of frustration.  That change will probably not become part of me anyway because I won't  stay with it through the learning curve. In my case, I don't want to put up with the hassle.
     Yes, I probably need to make some changes in my golf game.  Do I need a lesson.  Maybe I do and take advantage of the opportunity to visit a knowledgeable professional. I probably should and they can more than likely makes some changes that will improve my game. But, what if it really causes frustration and problems?  What happens then? Do I give up whatever frustrations I have in my game now for new frustrations that may never help my game in the first place?  Do I sacrifice the time and enjoyment I have playing golf now for a period of frustration and failure?  I am not going to do that.  I am too old for that.  This logic is probably flawed, but it is where I am at right now. I am getting older and my time on this Earth is getting shorter. I want to make the best of it when I play golf and have fun.  Besides, a certain frustration in this game is great, especially when you make that birdie putt.
     I do know a lot about this game.  As I have said in earlier posts my short game is very good. Within 100 yards I am deadly and my putting is great. If I see some minor thing that I am not doing, I try it. Normally, it doesn't take much and if I am doing something wrong, I just go back to what I was doing right and take inventory on whether or not I am still doing it or if I am doing something I shouldn't be. It always seems to work out.
      My goal today and in this series is to give a better understanding of why I choose not to take a lesson. I hope those of you who give lessons know that I am definitely NOT against lessons. I just have my reasons why I don't take lessons. Please, if you need a lesson, a professional can help.
     I have to run now. That cup of tea was terrible. Sorry all you tea drinkers out there. I am on my way to buy some coffee. It won't take long to brew a cup.
I have the Bob Hope Desert Classic--uh, excuse me, The Career Builder Challenge--recorded and it is time to pull up in my recliner with a steaming hot cup of coffee and watch it.

Of course, everything is better on a cruise ship.








     

No comments:

Post a Comment