Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Lessons? Me? Part 1

     I have noticed in social media, FaceBook in particular, there is a huge debate about golfers and why they are choosing to not take lessons from professionals.  There are many theories that have been brought forth by the experts, mostly PGA professional. Has anyone really gone out and asked those of us that play the game?  Why are Joe and Joanne Average not taking lessons?
     Being a member of the "Joe and Joanne Average" family, I would like to comment on that. Believe me, there is no sinister plot to put golf pros out of business. This is not a movement where the masses rise up with their wedges angrily waving in the air chanting "No Mas" to the golfing establishment. Nothing could be further from the truth.  The answer to the question comes through the average golfer themselves, where they are with the game and their attitudes toward the game. How important is it to the average golfer to devote true effort to improving their game or is it that important?
     Having said that--I hope you don't get mad at me Mark, Fred, Rich and Brad--Taking a lesson is not that important in the overall scheme of the average golfer's playing the game or at least that is how many golfers feel..  What is important is the playing of the game itself. I think that the average golfer goes out to have fun in all aspects of the game, whether it be social or the actual playing of the game itself.  We know that we can improve our game, but that is only a piece of the puzzle.
      Golf is a game where you can never be perfect. That is one of the beauties of the game. From one round to the next, you never know what to expect.  I have even said it many times, "I wonder which of my games is going to show up today?" Either the round is a good one or I play terribly.  The club just doesn't seem to want to strike the ball the way it is supposed to and that same ball is terrified of that short drop into the hole. Guess what though.  I will be back next time to try it again.
     Yes, it has been a very long time since I have taken a lesson.  The lesson I did take was not a scheduled one either. There is a story about that and I won't share it here.  At any rate, I don't take lessons as I probably should. Tomorrow I will talk about why.
See, I do take a lesson every once and awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment