Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Monday, February 15, 2016

Guess What I Got To Do Friday

     I will give you three guesses what I did Friday.  The weather was fantastic here on the West Coast so that should give you a clue.  Did I mow the lawn? That would be a wrong guess. Did I drive up to the Sierra Nevadas and go visit the snow on a bright and sunny day. Oh heck NO, and you all know how I feel about snow being very cold and wet.  I don't like wet and cold although it is great to see a snow pack this year. If your third guess was I got to play golf, you would be correct and give yourself a pat on the back.
     A very good friend of mine asked me to play golf in the Monterey area about two months ago. Steve and I used to play quite a bit when we both lived in Fresno. He retired and moved with his wife to Las Vegas, Nevada. I remarried moving with my wife to Merced, California. We have kept in touch and whenever he is in Fresno we try to hook up to play golf or a friendly game of poker. We are still very good friends. This weekend he was going to attend The AT&T Pro-Am so he wanted us to play in the Monterey area. Of course I couldn't refuse so I set up a tee time at Laguna Seca Golf Ranch, a course outside of Monterey. My wife was of course invited as she always is when Steve and I play.
      What better way is there to spend a glorious Friday afternoon than chasing the little white ball with friends and family. You never know what the weather is going to do this time of year in Central California as it can be cold, wet and rainy but not this year. This day would be sunny and warm with very little wind. Wearing shorts and polo shirt to play golf in my mind is the only way to play golf. The golf gods must have pleased the weather gods as the day was almost perfect with respect to the weather.
      It had been a long time since the three of us had played together.  In fact the last time any of us played was the last time we played together.  Our games were less than perfect and the strokes came very easily. OK, we played terribly if you want to know the honest truth. That's not the point, however.  What needs to be said is that no matter how bad we three were playing, we were enjoying the day to the point that it was almost sinful. The conversations were lively and fun as was the actual hitting of the ball and the retelling of the round at the nineteenth hole. This was fun! This was what golf is all about.
       It was great to hook up with an old friend again.  It was wonderful playing the game we love under a warm California sun no matter how well we played. That wasn't the point today. The day was about friendship and golf. We had a ton of FUN as golf should be. Being with friends, playing the game and having too much fun together. Isn't that what golf is all about?
Let's have some fun!














             
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment