Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Everyone's Gone To The Moon

     I don't know that everyone's gone to the moon, but everyone is shooting for it. I think I should explain that last statement. Everyone wants to hit a driver over 300 yards like professional golfers do.  Is that what we should be doing?  Have we been seduced by the club manufacturers and by television golf. My answer to that is yes we have. You don't have to hit the ball the proverbial country mile to enjoy the game.
      When we watch a golf tournament on TV, announcers always mention how far the professional golfers shot was. If it was a driver the distance was probably somewhere around 300 yards. That is a long way I will admit. They are hitting five irons around 200 yards and wedges somewhere in the neighborhood of 140. This is exciting and the distances they are hitting their clubs truly wow the crowds. They should, but what we need to keep in mind is that these are professional athletes who are conditioned and practice the game like there is no tomorrow.
      That distance is a lot of fun to watch. The key to it though is how do you control that distance.  In other words, does the ball wind up in the fairway so you have a shot to the green or does the ball run through the fairway and into the rough or fairway bunker. Do you have a clear shot to the green or is there a tree that your length has got you behind and you have no shot. We all saw Ricky Fowler go into the water on number 17 in the Phoenix Open which cost him the tournament.
      The game is becoming longer, at least on the professional level.  "Grip it and rip it" has been a rallying cry and that attitude has trickled down to the recreational golfer level. I can't hit the ball that far and quite frankly I don't care to at this time in my life.  I love playing the strategic game. Most of the time my driver goes into the fairway which sets up a clear second shot. If I am short of the green, I rely on my short game to score. I live by the "Drive for show and putt for dough" mantra. I like it that way.

On the green! Not bad for a 120 yard 7 iron.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment