Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Friday, February 19, 2016

Everything I Learned, I Learned It Off The Internet

     There are a lot of things that you can learn off the internet. Yesterday I even saw a "how to" video on surgically removing a spleen by yourself. I wouldn't want to try it and would feel much more comfortable visiting a surgeon having them do the procedure. My thoughts are the same as far as golf instruction. Is it best to learn how to play golf from the internet?
     There is a lot on the internet today dealing with the game of golf. Most of it is great stuff and I have shared many golf videos on our website http://golfisforeveryonemd.com (shameful plug time). I produce videos for golf courses and organizations as well on my other website http://the-golf-course-travel-bag.com (OK another shameful plug and that is it).  The internet is an important highway for information and I get that but golf is a very personal sport and takes a lot of personal attention. Golf instruction is the area that needs the most personal attention when someone is learning the game.
      There is a lot of talk on social media about how the percentage of golfers taking a lesson from a professional is down to 1.3% of golfers. I understand the reasons that have been put forth for this number. Some say it is the cost and some say that it is the commitment to taking the time to improve and practice. Many have said that it is a decline in the number of golfers. All these are very valid reasons as to why face-to-face lessons have declined.  However, we must also look at The Golf Channel and the Internet as contributing to that decline.
      I am a bit old fashion. That person-to-person live contact to me is invaluable. How can you explain to an internet video how you are feeling and express any questions about anything that is unclear to you. A live professional can do that. They can provide the instant feedback that needs to be given. A YouTube video can't do that. The live lessons I have taken were with live teachers and made a difference in how I play. I had many questions to the pro as I took those lessons which I could not have gotten the answers to had I not been with a live teacher.
      YouTube videos and the Golf Channel have a lot of information on them about golf. They are very valuable as far as concepts, but I prefer a live person.  Tell me YouTube, if I keep my left knee bent and my grip strong, how is that going to effect my turn?  What, no answer? I always did peg you for the strong silent type.

I learned a lot in this lesson. Rick saw what I was doing and showed me how to correct it. YouTube couldn't do that.
















No comments:

Post a Comment