Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie And Let's Play Golf

     I guess its that time of year again. My wife and I were driving around the town and noticed all the little leagues and girl's softball organization signup locations. Baseball and softball are great sports and it is great that kids still want to play the games.  In fact, I played little league and my wife played softball which she almost played professionally. Eventually, the conversation came round to the fact that most of those playing softball or baseball at this level will never advance past little league.  A few will play on a middle school team and some will play in high school or college. That is true for both baseball and softball with many players playing in recreational leagues after their college or high school experience. Most don't play after little league and give up playing the sport altogether. There are just not the opportunities to play.  Golf is not like that.
     Team sports also have the tendency to be exclusionary.  I know, I was always picked last because I was the chubby kid that couldn't run very fast. What they didn't know is that I could hit and field the ball. I lost interest in team sports very quickly because of this.  Yes, in today's youth sport world everyone gets to play and receives a trophy but only when the team is either so very far behind it doesn't matter or so far ahead it isn't going to make a difference in the score. That is just the nature of the games and it shouldn't be that way, but it is. Golf is not like that.
      I have been playing golf now for almost fifty years. My game is not the same as it was in my youth as I have lost a lot of distance.  However, my short game and iron play have become more deadly even though I have lost about an iron in distance. Up until a few years ago I was still playing in tournaments both at the state and club level and was very competitive. My return to competitive golf has been delayed because of a few life issues, but returning to competition is in my future within the next year or so. Golf is like that.
      Don't get me wrong. It is very important to plug kids into youth sports program. I did that with all five of my kids who played soccer, baseball, softball or golf. My youngest really took to golf and is very involved in golf as is my son.  My other daughters have left sports altogether which is a shame. The three had very little interest in golf even though one of them married a golf pro (go figure).  Unfortunately, with life the way it is that is the way it goes and sports go by the wayside for a number of reasons. I truly get that and its OK.
      Well, the baseball game is about to come on TV.  I have a couple of hot dogs on the broiler and I need to find the buns and the mustard.  While I am in the kitchen I think I will cut a slice of the apple pie my wife baked.  One last thing I need to do is to call the course and set up the tee time for next Friday. Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and let's play golf.  Does life get any better?
Let's play some golf! 
   


















 

No comments:

Post a Comment