Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Small Ball Vs. The Home Run

 Yes, I do know that my title is a baseball reference.  Some of my readers in other countries probably won't understand what I am trying to compare here.  Bear with me on this and I hope that I can make it clear.
     In baseball, and most baseball fans know this, there are two ways to score.  The first way is what is called "small ball" where you try to get as many base runners on the bases and move them over with small hits.  You score by moving runners in small increments, not all i one fell swoop.  Then there is "The Home Run", where you score a run in one swing of the bat by hitting the ball a long way and out of the ball park. Either method scores runs.  "Small Ball" uses strategy and finesse where as the "Home Run" in baseball is nothing but brute strength. Which is better? It depends.
     What does this have to do with golf.  Funny you should ask. The same principles apply in golf as to how the sport is played.  You have the long hitters and you have the short hitters.  Among amateurs at least, most long hitters don't have a great short game and most short hitters don't hit the ball far but they score using a fantastic short game.  You have to remember now that this is a generalization and I have seen long hitters with great short games, and I have seen short hitter who couldn't putt. But in most cases, the generalization holds true.
     I am a bit prejudicial toward  "small ball".  I am a short hitter.  In fact, I have trounced many a long hitter by having a great short game as my weapon of choice.  I love to have a long hitter go driver wedge on a long  par four and get on in two. I may use driver three wood and be off the green, but recover with a great chip shot close to the hole and make my putt for par.  The long hitter on the other hand three putts and I win the hole.  I am in awe though of that long hitter and wish I could hit the ball further.
    I suppose with some lessons and some conditioning, I could hit the ball further, but my question would be "Why"?  I shoot in the middle 80's to low 90's and I am happy with that, so why work on it?  I am happy with it and I do chip and putt well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I am almost sixty years old and enjoy the game. Why cause disruption to my well-being.  I have all the frustration in my life so don't add to it by messing up my golf game.
     Golf courses are meant to be played, not brought to their knees by going past all the interesting parts of the course.  They were designed to be enjoyed and to be a challenge.  The game is supposed to be fun and a challenge.  Length is a good thing, but it isn't everything. Even if you do hit it far, you still must do the little things well in order to score. I like a good baseball game where there are a lot of walks and singles and strategy is used to get the runners to score.  I also like a game with a lot of home runs.
     At 6996 yards, Merion is a short course. It took its toll on the long ball hitters during the U.S. Open that was played there in 2013.  The short game was a premium. Golf is a skill game as well as a power game.  You could have the strength, but you also must have the skill as well. Merion showed us that.  To me, skill wins.

Morro Bay is a great golf course with only six traps.  It is short but places a high premium on shot making. I have seen long hitters cry when the play it.








No comments:

Post a Comment