Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Lady's Day--Uh Weekend: Part 4: Conclusion (Maybe)

      I didn't intend this to be a series on bringing more women into the game of golf.  It  seems as if it is taking on sort of a life of it's own.  That's OK though because it has stimulated a good discussion on the issue. One thing is clear and that is the issue is not going to go away.  We need more women to take up the game.  I asked for some suggestions yesterday and I got some good ones.
     Responses were varied.  They ran the gamut from couples golf to running women's tournaments and the attitudes of men on the course. Many of the responses hit very similar notes which were great suggestions.  Let me share with you some of the best suggestions.
     I want to start with the course itself. There were a few simple suggestions such as clean restrooms and ball washers as well as garbage cans on the lady's tees. One comment was about the lady's tee at a particular course.  The management would put lady's tees far back so to discourage women from playing because the course would be too long and difficult for most women.  That makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? How about setting women's tees at appropriate distances on holes. Better women players who feel comfortable with a longer course can play from the men's tees. Men have that choice and can play the "Senior" tees, why not encourage that option for the lady's. I hate to tell you this guys but there are women out there that can hit the ball further than you can.  Ask my daughter and my wife.
     How about the pro shop having more merchandise for women.  Many pro shops are small, I realize this but there are a lot of large shops that don't have a great selection of merchandise for women.  This has to change.
     Speaking of the pro shop, some attitudes there need to change as well.  I have to admit that I have seen more women working in the shops but mostly at the front desk.  However, one of the responses I got yesterday was that a lady was very upset about when she calls to make a tee time at her local course. The voice on the other end of the line was a man and she said that the man gave her the run around suggesting she book a late afternoon time when the course was not as busy. I understand that online booking of tee times takes care of a lot of this Male/Female bias, but it shouldn't happen but does more often than you think.
    I have some other suggestions to share and will in tomorrow's post. One thing that we all have to remember.  We are golfers and play a wonderful game. There is room for all of us to enjoy the game. Golf is for everyone.
Long and down the middle.












No comments:

Post a Comment