Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Played!

      Yesterday was a special day.  It shouldn't be a special day when I get out to play a round of golf, but with my life circumstances as they have been that is just the way it has played out. I have mentioned my divorce and my bought with congestive heart failure.  I have remarried--happily I might add--and it seems as though my congestive heart failure is being managed.  My wife works and we only have one car so transportation is an issue,  Yesterday I said damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead I'm playing golf today.
       I keep forgetting how much fun our game of golf is. As I have shared before, I am on the three month plan.  What this means is that I only play golf about once every three months.  You really can't understand how frustrating it is writing about golf and reading about it on FaceBook and other social media outlets. Its not like I cry myself to sleep at night, but it does sadden me.  I used to play about three to four times a week and play in tournaments. I was proud of my 18 handicap. I miss this very much. I miss that trip to the course, not only to play but to just be around the course and the atmosphere of the course.
      Guess what.  I got to play yesterday.  It was wonderful, even though I played terribly.  That was not important, I was out on the golf course hitting the ball and trying to get it into the hole.  As a matter of fact, my swing was downright ugly, especially for the first four holes.  That didn't matter.  It was frustrating and I knew that I only had to make a minor adjustment to my swing to play better, but it really didn't matter. I was on the course playing.  This was FUN!
       I have to admit that it was pretty ugly.  I began shanking and didn't know how to correct them.  I topped my irons and pulled hooked my driver.  I even topped my pitches and chips.  How can you do that with a 60 degree wedge. That was me yesterday.  Putts came up three inches short or two feet long. Shots like this would have made a lesser man cry, let alone want to put their clubs on Craig's List or Ebay. Not me, I knew that things would get better and I had no feel because I hadn't played in a long time.  Things would get better in the round, and they did.
       I walked off the eighteenth hole and added up the score on the card. I guess a 101 isn't that bad since you took six triples.  I wasn't thinking of lessons.  I wasn't thinking of growing the game.  I wasn't thinking of youth programs or women's golf.  I wasn't thinking of golf websites or FaceBook or even what I was going to write in this blog. I wasn't thinking of golf travel or what my next golf travel video was going to be about.
 I was playing golf.  One very important thought went through my head during the round and after. Everything was kept in perspective. THIS WAS FUN!
It was great to tee off again. I missed you first tee.

I'm playing tomorrow too.






  
       

No comments:

Post a Comment