Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Yes, The Times They Are A' Changin (Part 4) The Driver The Story Ends Finally

     Florida--a wonderful place to play golf.  There are many courses and so I wanted to take advantage of our trip there. I was excited.  We were there because we were going to go on a cruise and explore a bit of the state from Miami and up to Orlando and then to Tampa. For me, golf was high on the itinerary. Disaster struck on the next to last day of the trip at Buffalo Springs Golf Course in Bradenton.
     I played well in Florida.  By the way, you really can see the grass growing as it is humid and the burmuda grass grows quickly. On the eighteenth tee I took out my Top Flite Lee Trevino Intimidator and took a normal swing at the ball. The head of the club came off of the club and flew farther than the ball. The flight characteristics of a titanium oversize driver head  is something that NASA has never investigated, but I can assure you that it wasn't a smooth flight. It kind of makes a voov-voov sound and kind of just spins in the air until it loses forward velocity. All I had left in my hand was a Intimidator muscle shaft of graphite and a brand new grip. My Top Flite Lee Trevino Intimidator had suffered a fatal injury. When I brought it back home, I was told that it would cost more than the club was worth to fix, so the search for another driver was on.
      Many months passed as I tried to replace my beloved Top Flite Lee Trevino Intimidator and I settled on a Cobra knockoff to match my Cobra clones. This worked but I also found another Joe's Titanium No Name Driver with 10.5 degree loft as well. Both of these clubs were OK, but I really did not have a love affair with them.  They hit the ball off the tee, but neither of these clubs were impressive for me and my search continued.
      That is what took me to Sports Authority in Fresno and there it was. An Orlimar Titanium with 9 degree loft and stiff shaft is a very beautiful thing and it was on a closeout sale.  When I hit it on the golf simulator, it was magic. I bought it and took it to it's new home.  Hitting the driver on an actual golf course was Nirvana--and I am not even Hindu. The ball exploded off the face with control.  The only drawback to the club was the 9 degree loft which I couldn't hit it off the deck or get it airborne if I was under a tree.  I knew this was the club and would never let it go.
       In 2008 I was fortunate enough to play in a pro-am put on by a local supermarket. This was a very big affair for where I lived and the tournament put on by Peter Jacobsen Enterprises would bring in some of the big names in golf.  There was a Nike store on the tournament grounds and as a tee prize each participant received $400 to spend as they wished in the Nike store.  I don't like Nike balls--not putting down the balls, I just don't like to play them--and I have to try their shoes on before I buy them as I have a very strange foot. I wasn't sure of their shirt sizes as well so I went for a new bag, which I really needed. I was still short of the $400 so I kept looking.
       I saw a Nike Sumo driver with the square head and 10.5 loft. I though to myself I like my Orlimar but what the heck.  If I didn't like the Nike Driver I could sell it on Ebay and make a few bucks. After all, the price was right and I needed to spend the rest of the $400. I got the driver, but was skeptical as to if I would like it or not. I didn't get to try it in the Nike store so it was a blind purchase. It didn't cost me anything and I didn't have to marry it.
       The Orlimar went to my son-in-law and I kept the Nike.  In fact, I still have it and won't buy a new driver until this one breaks.  I have already had it reshafted and it hits quite nicely.  I love it.  By the way, I couldn't afford a new driver anyway, not with the price tags these days.  So, I am very happy with my Nike.
       There has been a flood of new driver technologies that have come on the market. Driver heads are now adjustable so that you can put in more hook or slice.  The loft is even adjustable and Callaway has used Boeing to design a new driver.  At some point I may move to something else as a driver, but for now I am very happy.  I also have more jingle in my pocket because I don't spend a lot of money on new drivers. Besides, as I have said before its the archer not the arrows.
Still great since 2008.

         
     



















             

No comments:

Post a Comment