Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

What I Want In A Club Pro

      I am not a golf professional and I don't play one on TV. My position in the golf industry is that of average golfer. What I am talking about here is not the PGA touring pro that you see every week on TV , but the guy that you see every time you go out and play a round of golf at your local country club or muni.  In my work with Golf Is For Everyone, I have the privilege of being in touch with many club pros and have become very good friends through social media and our website.  They are good friends and I find their posts on FaceBook and other sites very interesting.
      There was a discussion thread on FaceBook today talking about the hiring of head professionals at golf facilities. I must add that the discussion was quite lively.  The whole thing got me to thinking. I know that is pretty dangerous and I began to wonder what I would want to see in the head pro at the courses I play at. Don't worry Clarke and Eric.  In my book your jobs are secure, but there are a lot of openings for head professionals out there. What would be the most important things that I as an average golfer and frequent player at a course would look for in a head professional.
       Two important things come to mind when I think about this. First, I think that it is very crucial that the head pro have a love of the game and how to grow it. What things can they do, or are willing to do to grow the game.  I am not talking about giving private lessons or using the latest technology to teach the swing. What I am talking about is how is this person going to grow the game and get more people to the course and playing golf.  What are they willing to do to get new players to the game?  How are they going to get those who have left the game to come back to the game?  How are they going to keep players coming back to the course to play? How are they going to give back to the game and the course in order to keep the course and game strong?  That is what is important, not using the latest technology to cure a slice.
       The second important thing is that as a golfer, I am not a number or dollar sign on the course's profit and loss statement.  We have lost a lot of this with today's techno-pro.  When I go to the course I want a warm welcome and a smile. Golf should be spoken here, and that means whoever is behind the desk or around the course or pro shop is willing to talk about either my game or the game in general. I totally understand that what they are doing is a job and whatever job they are doing right then needs to get done, but at least acknowledge me and make an effort. If you can't stop to talk right then, I understand.
       The pro and staff need to have the attitude of being "one of us" and not the people that run the place and are too good to deal with us.  The pro may play better than I do, but that doesn't make him any more of a golfer. Mingling with us "mortals" should be encouraged to an appropriate point instead of a strict hierarchy. Yes, they are paid staff and their expertise is to run the place but they are still part of the course family.
       I totally get that the club pro is responsible for the course's bottom line profits. They are in charge of the business and making a profit for the facility whether it is the pro shop, restaurant, driving range and course itself.  I admit that it takes a special kind of person to do that.  But number one in all of this should be the golfer.  Remember that the golfer is spending money at your facility and you must keep them happy. You must keep new people coming to play.  If dollars are not coming and staying, you can't be profitable. If you don't keep them happy, those dollars will go somewhere else. Pros please remember this and smile. A warm handshake and "We are glad you are here" would also be nice.
A warm and friendly staff make for happy golfers.
















 

















No comments:

Post a Comment