Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Friday, March 25, 2016

It's All There In Black and White--Or Is It?

       There are many theories and philosophies about the golf game and swing especially how to teach them. Which one is the absolute 100% correct way to teach golf.  Which method is set in stone and is the "right" way.  As an average golfer who is flooded by a tsunami of golf information and instruction and as a teacher I have to say that there isn't.  We are all learners, and as a community of learners we learn from others.  We all have our own ideas and opinions and as a community we need to respect each other's opinions.
       I saw this posted this morning on FaceBook by a very good friend and respected golf instructor. I totally understand the post, but I want to comment on it. Keep in mind that I am not commenting on it from the point of view of a golf teacher or pro, but one of average golfer and former school teacher. Here is the post, which presents a great question.

You come across a thread on social media. Let's say a pro has put up a video of a student. You spot an obvious problem with the pro's advice. Perhaps the student is even saying "I'm a work in progress I'll get it eventually."
Do you chime in with the correct fix that you know will get them playing better right now or let them flounder and possibly leave the game for good?
If you do chime in only to find your advice has been deleted do you call the pro on it? Does professional courtesy take a back seat when bad advice is being given and our sport is suffering as a result?

      Do you chime in? Does chiming in violate professional courtesy?  Does the pro who was on the video delete the response to the video from another pro?  What should the response be by the student if what the pro on the video's advice is not working?
      I have to ask how the advising pro who saw the video presented his or her comments and suggestions.  Was it in a condescending or overly superior way, or was it in a way that expressed some very good constructive criticism in a positive and gentle manner. I don't know that, but keep in mind that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. Was the information passed on as an absolute, or was it made as constructive criticism?  How something is said and presented has a lot to do with how it is received. I don't know how it was presented because I didn't see the post.  By the way, as a member of a community of learners and golfers I think that the pro that commented on the video was right for commenting, although his comments were his opinions.
      Let's look at the pro that received the post and criticism of the video. I believe they didn't have to take down the post of the second pro.  Why not just say, "Thank you for your comments, I will consider them.  They were very valuable."  That shows some respect for the whole process of communication. Who knows, there might have been something there that the first pro could have used to better their instruction. What they were doing, according to the video, seemed not to be working. Maybe they need to take a look at their techniques and philosophies and just maybe it is time to make a change. We never stop learning and changing to make things better. It is a shame when we get stuck in our ways.
      As far as the student is concerned, as an average golfer my advice would be if it isn't working and you can't relate to what your teacher is telling you find another teacher.  You are paying for this lesson. You are there to get results, not make the pro's car payment. Find someone else that you can learn with their teaching.  Find someone else that is more in tune with your learning style. You are the one taking the lesson.  Why waste time on something that isn't working?  I would be willing to guess that he or she is not the only golf pro giving lessons out there.
      That's it for today.  I'm off to celebrate my birthday today.  I wish I could spend it on the golf course, but I will have to put that off for a while.  Today is "Good Friday" and we are gong to church later today.  My wife is the choir director and director of music and I sing in the choir so there is not much time to do much today.  By the way, don't forget to "like" our FaceBook page at http://facebook.com/golfisforeveryone and check out our website which is a work in progress at http://golfisforeveryonemd.com.  Remember to have fun playing golf.
Go play golf today.  Think of me working away.
  





























 

No comments:

Post a Comment