Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Tuesday About Saturday

     Yes, I know today is Tuesday but I wanted to share with you my experience on Saturday.  As I mentioned somewhere, my wife and I played golf Saturday.  It was a road trip with friend to a course I had heard a lot about and never played but wanted to give it a go. I am not going to mention the name of the course because I have strong opinions about the course and how Freddy Couples designed the course. I played terribly as a result of my being on the "once in three month" golf plan.  Bottom line is though that my wife and I had a ball, even though we came back from the course with a dozen fewer.
     It used to be that I could saddle up my clubs, walk to the first tee and hit a wonderful drive somewhere down the middle of the fairway about 220 yards out. Those days have been gone for a long time since my frequency of playing golf has gone from four time a week to once every three months. That decrease in the number of times you play has a definite effect on a persons game.
     The consistency of scoring has gone as well. I shot an 85 at Pacific Grove when I went a couple of months ago, followed by a 92 (would have scored better but I couldn't get the hang of the slow greens and couldn't putt) at Rancho Canada.  I then decided two weeks ago to play DeLaveaga in Santa Cruz, California and shot a 102. I couldn't read the slow greens there either.  I hit the ball well but the par threes were a disaster. I didn't cry or get angry because I was playing golf.
     Saturday was a repeat of the DeLaveaga debacle, but again at least I was playing golf. I had my favorite person along playing with me, my wife. It seems as though my golf balls wanted to play different games with me other than golf.  They played a lot of hide and go seek. I didn't do a good job of finding them in the many barrancas. I think they also thought they were on vacation, because they went swimming a lot. Is there such a thing as a water seeking ball?
     I was topping everything. It took me until the eighth hole to figure out that I had the ball too far forward in my swing. I have to tell you, this was ugly.  It is pretty bad when you see a snake ducking. I had never seen that before.  I guess there is a first time for everything.
     Golf makes you a better person. I know because with all the adversity I encountered from the shots I hit, I am a better person. All kidding aside though, my wife and I had some very good quality time and we did enjoy ourselves immensely. What a great game!  


From a much better time and place.
















No comments:

Post a Comment