Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Sunday, November 22, 2015

San Juan Oaks In San Juan Bautista, California

     I am very careful not to trash a course when I am reviewing it. In most cases the pro has been kind enough to give me a free round and so I play the course, take my pictures then leave to go off and write my review. Unless of course it is a Johnny Miller designed course, but that is another story. Well Johnny, you now have company in the "Dave's Terrible Course Designer Club". Freddy Couples, take your chair. Put simply, since golf is a simple game, San Juan Oaks and his course is a terrible design.
     I admit that I didn't play well at all. It took me six holes to make an adjustment in my swing to even get the ball up in the air.  Putting was good as was my short game.  My long game I think I left back at breakfast.  Let's just say that it was a frustrating beginning.
     I kind of liked the front nine.  It some some really good holes. There were some risk and reward holes, but they were doable and fair. My favorite hole was the par five ninth which doglegs slightly left and there is a lake on the right side as you get closer to the green. This was a well designed hole that pr was coming back.esented options for the long hitter. I parred the hole, but that's not the reason I liked the hole. I though it was challenging but fair. On to the back nine.
     After the par on number nine I was excited about the back nine since it seemed that my swing was coming back. Holes ten, eleven and twelve I thought were pretty good holes. Thirteen is where I started to not like this course. The design has barrancas going through them and they do come into play.  I don't mind the laying up because I am a short hitter, but the barrancas come into play where your layup should go. This is not a good thing.  And if you do lay up, the fairways slope into the barrancas such that you are NOT going to stop the ball.  A golf course should play tough, I realize that but it should also play fair.
     The day's round found me in the bunkers quite a bit. I don't mind that and I am not afraid of a bunker.  Would you do me a favor San Juan Oaks?  If I am going to pay this much to play your course, would you please have some sand put into your bunkers? Most all the traps were very hard tamped down sand. You could not get  your club underneath the ball to his a decent sand shot out of the bunkers.
      I have crossed San Juan Oaks off my "I Should Play That Course Someday" list. With so many great courses in that general area, This was the first and last time I will play it.
See ya' later San Juan Oaks. 
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment