Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Friday, November 27, 2015

Some Food For Thought

    Yesterday just before my round I was
reading through FaceBook and came upon
this article.  Written by Sam Adams and
 posted yesterday on The Essentially Golf Blog.
 I would have to ponder this a bit, but it does
make a lot of sense. Personally, I prefer a tight
cut fairway, but that's just me. At any rate, I hope
 you had a very Happy Thanksgiving and I will be
back Monday for sure with my own content.
Enjoy Sam's comments.



Thursday, November 26, 2015


Have More Fun Playing Golf!


I have been involved in an untold number of discussions about the decline of golf and I think one of the major issues is that people are not having enough fun to justify the time and expense.  I am not going to get into all the possible reasons for the decline or this would become a book instead of a blog.  The one thing I am going to do is offer a simple suggestion.

Let everybody that wants to use a tee and tee it up in their own fairway.  I phrase it this way because I think there should be an advantage for hitting it in the fairway.  Now before the purist start lighting their torches let me explain.  By some estimates around 90% of golfers are already playing “lift, clean, 
and place” (winter rules) year round.  Is it such a leap
 to let them lift, clean, and put a tee under it?

One of the battles that rage in clubs and Golf Committee 
meetings around the country is the height of cut of their
 fairways.  The low handicappers want them tight and 
the vast majority of the members/players want them 
longer so they can set the ball up.  Longer fairways have
 several major draw backs.  Aesthetically, you need 
definition between rough and fairway.  With a higher 
fairway cut the rough gets deeper and slows play 
down.  It also makes the fairway softer and the ball 
won’t roll as far making the course play longer.  The longer
 cut seriously penalizes anyone that plays the ball “as it lies” 
because it produces flyers from the fairway.

The simple solution is short mowing heights and let less
 skilled golfers use a tee.  Everybody is happy
 (in my wildest dream).

There is already a lot of discussion about two different
 sets of rules - one for tournament/serious play and 
one for everyday play.  That’s wonderful, but you have
 a better chance of winning the Power Ball Lottery than
living long enough to see the USGA and R&A come out
 with that.

My suggestion is start now.  As long as everyone in your 
group plays by the same rules it doesn’t matter.  If you play 
in a league they can adopt it for all of their members.  You 
don’t have to wait for anyone to “officially” recognize it.

The vast majority of golfers don’t have established USGA
 Handicaps now, so that isn’t a problem.  The one 
drawback is that you can’t have it both ways.  If you do 
decide to establish a handicap this way you will be at a 
severe disadvantage if you decide to play in an event 
played by USGA Rules.

My point is that we need to do things now that help people
 enjoy the game more so they won’t quit as fast and 
I believe this is a much better alternative than 15 inch
 cups and “Foot Golf”.

I’m simply throwing this out as a suggestion and
 food for thought.  I encourage you to bring your friends
 into the discussion through social media, email or 
whatever you are most comfortable with.  I would 
love for you to leave comments on this.  Be sure to
 check out my Facebook page and follow me on Pinterest.

Thank you Sam for that.



No comments:

Post a Comment