Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Friday, December 9, 2016

Welcome Back Tiger!

     When I mention Tiger Wood's name, what thoughts and opinions go through your mind. I am sure that there are many and they go from very supportive almost to the point of golf "godliness" to he is the most pompous and arrogant person that anyone has seen.  I guess that someone who has been so dominant in sport--or any endeavor for that matter--has that sort of reputation and swagger that comes with being such a force in the sport they play or whatever they undertake--sport, business or entertainment. Image to is everything, I guess that saying is very true.  One thing is for certain and that is Tiger has been a changing force in the world of golf.  Is that a good thing or a bad thing, I don't know.  One thing I do have to say though is welcome back Tiger.  For good or bad, we have missed you.
     I am not an expert in the golf swing, although I do have my pet theories.  I try to write about the things that effect the average golfer and also my experiences playing this great game of golf.  I don't want to analyze Tiger's new swing or what he needs to do to begin winning tournaments again. I will leave that to the greatest golf analyzing minds of Johnny Miller and Brandle Chamblee. What I will say is that it was exciting to see Tiger competing in a golf tournament and not withdrawing.  He played well to and gave the crowd what it wanted as well as an increased tournament gate because he played in the tournament. That is an indisputable fact.  More spectators go to tournaments where Tiger is entered and they go to see Tiger.
     Many have argued that Tiger is the greatest golfer to have ever played the game.  There are many who would argue with this, of course. I am one of those who would argue--I'm a great Bobby Jones fan.  One thing is for certain though.  Tiger has certainly had one of the biggest impacts on the game that the game has ever seen.  And this is not only from the playing aspect. Just look at what he did for the marketing of the game and for his sponsors.  Of course we can talk about Nike, but that wasn't his only big sponsor. What a shame that a certain event in his personal life took care of that.  I'm not going to go there either.
     In his prime, there was no more dominant player on the PGA tour. I guess that during those years the suspense was not who was going to win the tournament--Tiger--but who would come in second and challenge him. The question was always, "How much did Tiger win by this week?"  Intimidation--his golf game--was the ruling factor.  There were a few weeks that Tiger didn't win and that is to be expected.  We need to just look at Hal Sutton in the Players Club and his famous "Be the club today" showdown.  Tiger was beatable, but you had to be at your best in order to win when Tiger was in his prime.
       Of course this all came crashing down beginning with the disclosures of his sexual indiscretions and divorce as well as the many injuries.  I would have to say that nothing lasts forever, and so it was with Tiger. Not only was his injuries taking a toll, but he was also getting older.  The body doesn't heal as fast as you get older and it is hard to maintain that dominant edge when your body says no, let alone playing on such an elite stage as the PGA Tour.  Add that to the fact that during the time he was out with his health and emotional issues, the guys out on tour got better.  They knew that in order to compete, they had to get better. The Tour rose to Tiger.  Like a castle that had suffered from disrepair, the castle was taken by the enemy.  I'm afraid you could say that's life.
       Is Tiger the greatest?  I don't know.  Will Tiger ever win another major?  Some say no and some say its over for him and that he will never win a major again.  Will he win on Tour?  I wouldn't know the answer to that and only Tiger can say that--who knows. One thing is for sure and it is great to have Tiger back and see him playing in tournaments again.  Welcome back Tiger.
The first tee is open for you Tiger.  Go ahead and swing away.  And...Welcome back.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment