Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Thursday, December 8, 2016

Just Call Me Marshal Dave: Part 2

     Most courses have them.  They drive around in a golf cart with a little flag on them that say "MARSHAL" or something similar.  Sometimes the average golfer sees them around the course and wonder what do they actually do.  Many golfers see these "course assistants" as kind of a nuisance whose only job is to harass golfers and herd them on like cattle. Sometimes they are viewed as totally useless.  I know, I am a "course assistant" and proud of it I might add.
     What do "course assistants" do?  Now wait a minute. If your answer was find a shady spot and hide or was just ride around in a golf cart and hunt for good balls that they may use, your answer in some cases is correct.  However, I would not describe this as the preferred behavior of a course assistant that is on duty.  That would be far from it. A good course assistant knows their duties and is more than just a traffic cop telling golfers to play faster and be rude when doing that. Those duties do not include hunting for golf balls other than helping golfers find their own golf ball.  Don't laugh, I have come across "marshals" that feel their primary duty is to find lost golf balls in the rough to put in their own bag to use when they play.
     A "course assistants" first responsibility is a simple one.  They are a presence.  This is a very important role as they are the eyes and ears of the course and more importantly the extended presence of the course management as far as what is happening on the course.  Golf courses are very big places which are measured in acres, which is a lot of land. In most cases, the pro shop can't see all of the course so the "course assistant" is the first line of communication to the pro shop. We all know that a lot goes on at a golf course during the day, and "course assistants" are there to monitor play and any potential problems on the course. That's not just dealing with slow play or unruly golfers either.  How about a potential hazard or danger on the course?  The mere presence of a "course assistant" lets golfers know that there is someone out there.
     How important is it to a golfer to be made to feel welcome when they are playing a particular golf course?  That's kind of a stupid question, isn't it? Yet some courses don't do a very good job of this.  Its kind of like, "You paid your green fee, so I don't want to have anything else to do with you. I have collected your money, now go out and play." I know this attitude is out there because I have played courses where that is the norm. Of course the pro shop staff needs to be welcoming and cordial but that feeling must extend out to the course as well. The "course assistant" has to be a goodwill ambassador for the golf course as well.  The whole atmosphere of the course needs to be inviting and welcoming from the golf pro all the way down to the restroom attendant.  The "course assistant" is a primary contact with golfers.
     When I am on my shift I make a point of stopping and welcoming as many golfers as I can.  If there is time, I stop and chat, hopefully having a funny story or quip to tell them.  But I always finish any contact with "We are glad you are here and welcome" and always give them a smile.  If I have to deal with a problem-- however minor--I always start my contact with my "we are glad you're here" greeting.  I then gently address the problem and thank them. I then smile and say, "If you have any questions or problems please stop me and ask.  I'm here to help."
      I love my job as a "course assistant".  It is one more way for me to get out on the course.  My favorite part is the interaction with golfers out on the course. Being a "course assistant" is one way I give back to this wonderful game we play.
Hi guys, we are glad you are here.  Would you mind picking up the pace a bit, you are a bit behind.



PS: Today is my normal day to marshal, but it is raining outside and my shift was cancelled. Oh well, darn it I hate when that happens.


 
         

No comments:

Post a Comment