Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Monday, December 5, 2016

Played Golf With My Wife On Saturday

     I played golf with my wife on Saturday.  This may come as a shock to many, but I enjoy playing golf with my wife. What I most enjoy about the whole experience is not how much fun I am getting out of playing the game, but watching how much she enjoys the game.  I am truly blessed because she loves golf so much. Our time on the course translates into some great quality time together, which is rare as she works a lot of hours.  We celebrate the time together sharing this priceless time and delight in playing the game we both love so much.
     A lot of men feel that the time they spend on the golf course is a refuge.  It gets them away from all the clutter and noise of what has become a modern busy life.  The golf course is an oasis that is insulated from the outside world and they can find an escape from that busy world for four and a half to five hours. This is a good thing and even my wife has encouraged me to go out and find some golf buddies.  She likes playing together but works a lot of hours away from home and likes the time alone in the house when I am playing golf. By the way, she wants to find a group of ladies she can play golf with. She wants her time on the course playing golf without me as well.
     I cherish the time that my wife and I are on the course playing. The experience of sharing an activity that we both enjoy--and enjoying it together--is priceless. My favorite part about playing together is watching how much she relishes the game.  Whether she hits a horrible shot or one that Tiger Woods would envy she is having fun and is truly into the game. This is fun, and I'm not the one hitting the ball.  She is.
      I have taken the advice of many golf teachers and that is don't give your wife golf lessons.  Yes, I have to say I have learned my lesson on this.  She doesn't tell me what I have done wrong when I have hit a bad shot, so why should I. She has asked once or twice as far as what she is doing and has actually told me that she wouldn't get mad at me if I gave her a pointer. I bit so I tried to explain to her what I saw. That was a bad mistake, but what else could I do?  She asked.
      As you know, I speak "golf".  I have to since I write about it. When my wife asked me to say what I saw in her swing, I commented on it and in "golf speak" of course.  My wife is a relatively new golfer and has come a long way in her game.  She is an athlete who played high lever competitive softball and knows athletics.  She was also a certified exercise trainer. She knows the movement of the body.  She doesn't know "golf speak" which is a lot different. I explained to her in "golf speak" and her answer was simple and kind of gently took me down a peg. She told me very gently, "I don't have the faintest idea what you are talking about."  Simply put, enuff said dear. message received loud and clear. My son-in-law used to be a golf pro and can give you a lesson.
     I almost have to say that she is more of a golf nut than I am.  We will finish 18 and I am ready to go home and curl up in my easy chair, turn on a good movie and pour a tall cold one.  She on the other hand always asks as that last putt on 18 falls, "Are we teeing off on the back or front again."  I love this attitude!  I'm ready to go home, and she wants to play more. You gotta love that.  Right now I am very tired after 18, but I am working to join her on that third nine.  I'm glad that it is winter and the days are shorter.  Dark causes us to have to end the round.  Thank God for that because I'm cold and tired. She uses the flashlight on her phone to finish.
      Being together and playing golf with your wife or girlfriend who also plays is a wonderful thing. There is so much to share, not only the golf but some good conversation and quality time together. We love to go away together on golf trips to nearby courses such as those in Monterey or the San Francisco Bay area.  It makes the trip so much more enjoyable. We enjoy being together on the golf course.
 
Clunk!  It went in.  That was another birdie putt.

No comments:

Post a Comment