Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Monday, December 12, 2016

We Love Fox's Golf Coverage, Don't We?

     Saturday morning my wife and I turned on the TV and searched for something to watch.  We had some time to kill before we went to a Saturday event.  We didn't want to get into the Friday evening shows we had recorded so I surfed the channels and saw that the Templeton Shootout was on TV on The Fox Network.  We watched it.  I have a question to ask all of you.  Is it me or does Fox do a terrible job of broadcasting golf?  Come on now, you can tell me. What do you really think?
      As I tuned into the broadcast Saturday I was taken a bit by surprise that the tournament was broadcast on Fox. I knew that they were the network that was going to be broadcasting the U.S. Open and a couple of other tournaments, but I wasn't quite prepared for watching other tournaments on Fox just yet. I was hopeful that their coverage would improve.  I was hoping that Joe Buck would not be covering golf, and was happy to find out that he was not covering this tournament. He wasn't and I was curious how that would effect the broadcast and the way Fox would handle the task. After a few minutes watching I was totally disappointed.
     The Fox golf commentators have a great pedigree as far as where they have been and what they have done in golf.  That's pretty impressive, but the problem is that they want you to know that they know a lot about golf. Part of a golf broadcast is to analyze the professional swing and what a pro is doing on the course.  We do want to know what is good about a pro's swing or what they did wrong when they hit that bad shot or missed that putt.  But excuse me, will you please just shut up a minute and let us watch golf without you blithering on about the club angle of the guy's driver as it descends through position six?  Do we really need that much info. How important is it to us when there is other important action going on somewhere else on the course?  Who cares what position six is, I want to see that important drive on number eleven.
      Here is a good example of what I am talking about.  I forgot who was putting but it was a very important putt.  The FOX announcer set the putt up as far as where it should be hit and the line.  The golfer addressed the putt and hit it.  Did the announcer stop talking and have us watch the drama of the putt?  No, he kept right on talking.  He didn't shut up until after the putt was missed and kept on going for about a full minute after the putt was missed.  We can see he missed the putt.  We want to watch the putt in silence and your comments are very distracting. We know you are an expert in golf, but obviously not in golf.  Good broadcasters know when to talk and when to be quiet.  They know when to let the action speak for itself.  This is not true with FOX commentators, although I thought Julie Inkster did a fine job--what do I know, I'm a huge Julie Inkster fan. Where is Holly Sonders by the way?
     Hey Fox, I love your NASCAR broadcasts. They are very exciting and I miss them when the other network takes over. Nobody does NASCAR like you do.  I don't think you have grasped the concept that golf is not NASCAR.  Until you get a firm grip on this idea, I am very happy that The Golf Channel, CBS and NBC are still covering golf. Your coverage--and I will put it mildly--leaves a lot to be desired.
Take it all in--I'm not saying a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment