Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Monday, August 1, 2016

I Got To Play Golf On Friday!

     Yes, I actually went out and played golf on Friday. I dropped everything and cleared my schedule to fit in a round. It was going to be hot and the air quality here in the Merced area is terrible because of the forest fires burning around the state but that wasn't going to stop me. My wife was tied up all day with her piano students. I decided it was now or never so I made my escape to the golf course and played.
     I have shared to you a couple of times that I seem to be on "The Once In Three Months Plan" as far as my getting away to play eighteen holes.  This wasn't a conscious decision, but seems to have been a decision made for me by life circumstances. Isn't it funny how in a lot of cases life gets into the way of golf?  This was not intended but it is just the way that things seem to have worked out.  One thing is for certain though, its going to change and I plan to play more golf as well as my wife. She too wants to get out more, both together with me and alone with her friends as well. We both miss playing.
      For me, the golf course is a very special spot. This is where the world dissolves into a much simpler place. It is a world of sport and a world of a great game.  The golf course is more than just the course, but the people.  We all have something in common no matter who we are.  We are golfers and we play a game, but we are also in a place that is comfortable and accepting.  There are no strangers and we are all family, no matter our backgrounds.  There is laughter here, and fun in good measure.
      I just couldn't resist.  Its just part of me.  Before my round, I check in and shoot the breeze with whomever is in the pro shop at the time I check in.  This is part of the ritual of playing, unless I am pressed for time.  This relaxes me and gets me ready for the round to come.  Then I go alone somewhere and spend a little time by myself and go over my coming round in my head. On this day, I didn't know what to expect because I hadn't played in a long time so basically my thoughts were to not embarrass myself too badly. I did remind myself that no matter what happens, I am here to have fun and enjoy the game.
       The front nine was a train wreck.  It was like I never had a club in my hand--ever. In fact, after the third hole, I was primed to just walk in and call it a day.  But, I am an optimist.  I soldiered on thinking about adjustments I needed to make.  I hit the ball off the tee fairly well, but the hits from the fairway were in bad need of work. What adjustment did I need to make.  It had to be a small one, and it was. I was hitting  totally with my arms and not using my lower body. I needed to soften my lower body and make a better turn.  That did it.  I was just a bit alarmed by my 57 on the front nine, but I pressed on to the back.
      My game had to change with a few adjustments to my lower body.  They did.  With just that small adjustment, I had a much better back nine.  My irons came around and so did my drives and approach shots along with my short game. I shot a 45 on the back nine for a wonderful 102 on the eighteen. This was fun.  What began as a disaster ended up a fun day.  We golfers are like that. Most of us are perpetual optimists and things always seem to get better. I was glad that I stuck out the bad spots.
      After the round, I was going to load up the sticks, change my shoes and head for home.  I took my equipment to the car, changed shoes and returned the cart to the cart barn.  I had some business in the pro shop to finish before I was to leave and completed that.  As I left, I walked through the coffee shop and met up with some friends I hadn't talked to for a while.  The conversation was pretty raucous and the stories came fast and furiously.  We were enjoying our time, almost too much. The game is more than just the round of golf.
     I have to play more. There is more to life than just writing about golf and watching the rest of the world enjoy the game. I have to get out more by myself and with my wife to enjoy the game that I love more often.  I am after all, an optimist. This game is fun!
Let's play some golf.
















      

No comments:

Post a Comment