Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Thursday, August 4, 2016

Swoosh Goes Nike

     Well, I guess Nike is getting out of the golf equipment business. To them, what seemed like a good idea at the time has pretty much run its course. We can analyze this move until the cows come home, but the big question to me is how does this decision effect me, the average golfer.  What do I think about this move by one of golf's giant players?
      Honestly, it doesn't make that much difference to me.  I don't play Nike clubs.  Wait a minute, I take that back.  My driver is an old  square Summo 2000 driver which I love.  It is confession time though.  The club did not cost me anything, in fact I got it at a golf tournament as a tee prize from the Nike Company. Here's the story in brief.
     We had $300 to spend in their tournament on site store and I had to use the money or lose it. I don't like Nike balls, I couldn't buy a set of irons because they were more than $300, I can't buy their shoes because I have a strange foot and have to try shoes on before I buy them--Nike shoes run a bit narrow for me anyway--I don't like their balls and they didn't have my size in shirts.  What was I to do. I needed a golf bag and there was the driver, the total cost of both was $299.  What the heck, If I didn't like the driver--which I really didn't need because I was happy with my old Orlimar 9 degree--I could always sell the driver on E-bay.  When the package with my driver and bag arrived I took the driver out to the range and loved it so I kept it. I still have it and the bag.
     The landscape of the golf industry is changing.  We can talk about all aspects of the game from equipment to courses.  Our discussion can get very technical here, but I am not going to.  What I am going to say is that I don't buy Nike clubs. And that is not an insult to Nike clubs.  The bottom line is I don't buy new clubs and have had these clubs now for almost ten years. I love my clubs and will not change, partly because they are paid for.  They work for me and my swing. Why should I go out and buy a $1000 set of clubs when I am happy with what I have. Besides, paying rent is more important.
      I'm not just talking about Nike either.  I'm very happy with my clubs, thank you very much.  I am sure that the people at Calaway are hard at work devising a scheme to get me to part with my clubs. Its not going to happen.  I warn you Titlist, I am going to stay with my clubs.  Besides, if I drop $1000 for a set of clubs, you will have to deal with a higher authority--my wife.  Same to you TaylorMade. Besides, your TaylorMade marketing strategy probably has destroyed your market. Planned obsolescence is a good strategy in the business world, but not when the product is only out for two weeks. The bottom line on all these club and equipment companies is I just can't afford your clubs. They are high quality, I just can't afford them.
      I don't buy Nike balls because I just don't like them. That's not a hit on Nike either, I don't buy Calaway balls either. I am a Titleist man and even then I buy NXT's because I can't afford ProV's.  In fact, I have another confession to make as well.  I really like Precept Laddies and I can buy 24 packs at WalMart for under $20.  After all, I'm retired and on a fixed income so every dollar counts.
      The same thing goes for shoes.  I don't buy shoes very often and when I do they are Foot Joys. It seems as though Foot Joys fit my feet better than Nikes. If you look in my closet you will find four pairs of Foot Joys and I got them all on sale at my golf course pro shop.  The last time I bought shoes was about five years ago.  I'm good for a while.
      We are witnessing a total reset of the golf industry. This is a healthy thing if the industry is to thrive. Seriously though, I really think that Nike's departure from the golf equipment business is a healthy thing for golf. With other golf companies making moves such as Addidas selling TaylorMade, it seems that sport companies are making some good decisions. survival of the fittest is beginning to take hold in the market and room is being made for dedicated golf manufacturers such as Vice golf Balls of Germany.   Maybe golf is such a specialty sport area that people that know golf need to run companies that deal with golf.  I don't know if that is true or not, but it can't hurt. Nike is going back to what it knows best and that is the clothing and shoe business.  I think that is a good thing so my advice to Nike would be, "Just Do It".
Still got 'em. Playing them and loving them.  They are payed for.  
   














     

No comments:

Post a Comment