Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Memories. Tucked Between The Pages Of My Mind

 I was asked the other day about golf and my fondest memories of playing the sport for almost 50 years. There are so many of them and it will take many posts to share them all. Is that booing I hear in the background. Just wait a minute, I have some great stories, most of which are true and you should enjoy reading about them.
     My first introduction to golf was a very reluctant one. My father managed a local grocery store where many salesmen came in to sell him products. One of these salesmen was a former professional golfer who still gave lessons on the side. I was in the store with my Dad and the salesman just happened to come in. He saw me with my Dad and decided to come over and talk.
     "Hey Bill (that was my Dad's name) is that your son? He is a great looking kid. What's his name?
     " Dave," my Dad answered.
      "That's a great name. He looks pretty strong.  I'll bet he could hit a golf ball a mile. Does he play golf?" Of course I didn't play golf.  I was only twelve years old at the time and never had seen a golf course or clubs or balls for that matter.
     "Tell you what I'll do Bill. If you buy this truckload of Tuna, I will give him golf lessons. You would like to learn to play golf, wouldn't you Dave. You would be very good at it."
     My Dad said yes to the deal. Mind you, I had no say in the matter, a decision that would effect me for the rest of my life. Just like in a desert camel transaction--is that politically correct enough for you--I was the final chip that sealed the deal for a truckload of tuna.  That sounds pretty fishy, and to this day I wonder what would have happened if my Dad had turned the salesman down.
THANKS DAD
Yep, that's me taking a lesson.  I'm the one watching and I wasn't twelve.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment