Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Golf And TV Commercials

     I have to level with you. Today I had fully intended to write about something totally different than Golf and TV Commercials.  In fact, I was going to do a focus on a junior golfer.  I am still working that post and will have it for you soon. The lad is very impressive and is a fine example of what junior golf really is. In the meantime, you are stuck with today's post and late too I might add.
     I was watching Fox News this morning and saw the news conference by FBI director Comey. The whole affair got me a bit upset and I won't express an opinion on this as it is not an appropriate thing to do here.  Let's just say I was a bit agitated. What I needed to do is something light for the blog with just a bit of humor in it.  It came to me in a commercial for a company that sells gold as a commodity.
       It is great to see that golf is being used as a backdrop for products unrelated to golf. These commercials are not for golf equipment, balls or travel destinations but a part of commercials for mainstream products. The message that this shows is that golf is something valuable and shows great benefits to people.  The people shown in these commercials are vibrant and active people. Golf is a great game and activity so that is a very good thing that it is being used to show active people. Now on to the observations, which don't have much relationship to the fact that golf is a great active sport and a lot of fun.
      The first observation is about the commercial that shows a guy and his wife playing golf and the guy is in a sand trap. He is swinging at the ball in the trap and just not getting it out.  We have all been there.  The guy says he is terrible at golf and his wife agrees.  The whole point is that the guy and his wife want him to stay healthy so that he can still play golf.
       My first comment on this would be for him to get a lesson if he is so bad at golf. That's not the case here. He swings at the ball and has a pretty decent swing. Looking at that swing, I would say that he plays golf, and pretty well at that. That is not a bad gold swing.  It is hard to hide a good swing and this guy doesn't make an attempt to hide his good swing.  You can tell he is intentionally missing the ball. My wife can't get out of a trap to save her life.  Now that's a bad sand shot swing (sorry dear, I couldn't resist).  This guys swing is not.  I guess you could say so much for truth in advertising.
       My second comment is about the gold commercial.  It's for a company called Roslind Capital and stars William DeVane. He did an earlier commercial and you can tell he plays golf. The first commercial was actually pretty good.  The second commercial he did is pretty hokey.  He is coming in out of the rain from a round of golf that I guess started out in good weather.  Take a closer look at the commercial again when you see it air.
       I have a few questions.  First, if you are coming out of a sudden rain why isn't Bill drenched? Why isn't the back of the golf cart as wet as the front of the cart?   Why is there not one drop of water in the golf cart?  Why is the sun shining in the background when it is supposed to be pouring rain?  When he goes out again at the end of the commercial, why isn't he getting wet? I just thought I would leave these questions for you to think about and answer. It will give you something to do.
       I am glad that we are seeing more of the course and the game in commercials not related to golf. Take a look at them as they come out. Golf is for everyone, and we are seeing more of it on TV in normal life, not just the golf world.
He get's it.

    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment