Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Thursday, July 21, 2016

I Never Thought Of It That Way

     I don't know if you have noticed this or not.  They are very different. I am talking about men and women.  Women just think differently than we men do.  Come on ladies, you can admit it. The way you process the world around you is completely different than those of us males of the species. I'm also not saying that is a bad thing and I'm glad God made us different.
     I have many interesting perspectives as far as the game of golf is concerned see the importance of women in growing the game of golf. I also am in tune to how the golf experience can be made much better for women as well as changing attitudes toward the female golf experience. There is just one problem. I am a male and can only write about women in golf from a man's perspective. My views and comments come from the male point of view.  That's not a bad thing either, except most women have a different way of looking at things.
     When I go to the course to play golf, I am only thinking of one thing.  Get a club in my hand and let me hit the crap out of the ball. I am focused on the game I am about to play.  My brain is looking forward to the task at hand, that of playing eighteen holes of golf. I may be playing with three other good friends in my foursome, but in most cases conversations focus on the round and what is happening.
     Conversations about things that are happening in our lives outside of golf are rare. If one hits a great shot, say a shot from off the green to within two inches for a birdie, you will get the "Great shot, Dave"  and that's about it. Then, you make the birdie putt and move on to the next tee. I feel fantastic about the birdie and won't tell anybody that my feet aren't touching the ground I'm so stoked. All I probably say is "Wow, that felt great". Those in my foursome will say, "Great birdie, Dave" and we will move on. The subject won't be talked about until the nineteenth hole over a beverage.
      Men have a task at hand, to play the round of golf, and we go about completing the task as best we can. We look at at the steps and completion of the task.  The focus is on the physical process and outcome of that task.  Women on the other hand look at the process and the whole picture.  In most cases the focus is not on the completion of the task, playing the round of golf, but the experience of playing the round and being with friends. A round of golf is a social event and ladies see the game as more of a social interaction than just playing a game. There is more to the experience of a round of golf for women. It is also a lot different when women and men play together in the same foursome
. I respect that, and we men have to begin to understand that.
      Today's post is probably going to get me into trouble with a lot of people, men and women. That's ok because I have broad shoulders and can take the heat. Men and women process the world differently, including the game of golf. But differences are what makes the world more interesting.
     If you would like to write a rebuttal post or add to what I have written, please send it to me at golfisforeveryonemd@gmail.com.  I would love to read it and perhaps post it. Please keep the post to under 600 words and include a picture if you can.


What's it like out there today?







  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment