Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Master's Master Jordan

      Yes, I know it is Thursday and I haven't written anything about The Masters Tournament.  There is a reason for this. I wanted to let the hub-bub die down before I wrote something. Congratulations are in order for Danny Willett for his great victory and earning The Green Jacket. I also would like to congratulate Bryson DeChambeau for his performance in The Masters.  I have known Bryson and his dad Jon since the days at Riverbend Golf Club in Madera, California and I wish all the best for him.  It was an exciting Master Tournament and did a lot to grow the game.
      Dare I mention the name? It is time to summon up the courage and utter it here, Jordan Speith.  Did Jordan Speith choke?  That seems to be the question on everyone's lips and seems to be a forgone conclusion. I will have to agree that in the time-space continuum and the way the celestial bodies lined up you would have to say he did. He himself would probably say he did, but wouldn't admit to it publicly. What we all need to do is to step back a little and take look at this from a different perspective.  Golf is like no other game.
      Before you start laughing at me--most of the sane world does, by the way--hear me out. Let's take a look at other sports.  How many times did Babe Ruth strike out?  Did he choke? How many interceptions did Joe Montana--I'm a 49er fan--throw? Did he choke? How many races did FloJo lose? Did she choke? It depends on your definition of success and failure.  It depends on your definition of choke, especially when you are down one run with two men on in the bottom of the ninth and you have a 3-2 count. How about down three points and you are on the five yard line with ten seconds left on the clock. Maybe a three shot lead isn't so comfortable in one of the biggest tournaments of the year. I could add a basketball analogy here, but I am not a big fan of basketball--I'm sorry and I hope I didn't offend you basketball fans.
      How about we give Jordan a pass on this one.  After all, he is only 22.  I wouldn't worry about how successful he will be in his golf career. He made a mistake that cost him dearly.  Have you ever made a big mistake? Will he learn from it? My guess would be probably but that is just the game of golf.  Besides, who presented the "Green Jacket" to Danny Willett? We all hit bumps in the road, in this case Rae's Creek at Augusta National. It is a bit unusual to hit it twice when you are leading the Masters, but things happen you know.  Did he make a couple of big mistakes, yes.  Did he choke? I don't think so.  You da' man, Jordan. The US Open is coming up soon and I think you will be OK

Did he just hit it into the creek?  Twice?














.

No comments:

Post a Comment