Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

My Ten Course That I would Love To Play But Have A Snowball's Chance In Heck Of Playing

     We have all watched them on TV or know about them.  Many times during tournaments we look at them and ask ourselves what it would be like to play them but know for sure we will never be able to even get on the grounds let alone tee it up there.  Most of them are private and extremely exclusive or are so prohibitively expensive that it would take five year's salary to pay the caddie let alone the green fee.  As I have said, I live in California and cannot afford an airplane ticket to anywhere. Besides, my wife would kill me if I spent the money on a flight.  There is more here at issue than just money because she works long hours and would be truly upset if I was playing golf in some far off famous location without her. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't do that to her anyway.
     Getting back to the subject and task at hand, here is the list.  You have to remember that this is not a comprehensive list and is not in any particular order as far as a given criteria.  I have chosen ten as of this writing because I don't want this post to go too long. Please don't read anything into this list as far as rank because that is not my purpose.  It is just a list that I am thinking of right now. Here are the ten and I will assure you that I will think of more as time passes.  I don't know if I will write about this again, but I would assume that when I am out of ideas of what to write about I will revisit the subject.  Here is the list.

These aren't in any particular order by the way.

1.  Augusta National:  All I have to say is that you are a great FaceBook friend Bobby Jones IV.  Is there any way you can help?

2.  Cypres Point:  How is it that one of my high school golf team players got to play Cypress and I didn't. That's just not fair.  Maybe he knows somebody.

3.  The Olympic Club of San Francisco:  I know a few people that you wouldn't have thought would have been able to play there.  I guess its not what you know, its who you know.

4.  Riviera Country Club Los Angeles, California: I'm not an actor or TV personality so I don't have a chance.  Anyone know somebody that can help me out here?  I thought not.

5.  Tehama Country Club, Monterey, California:  I don't think Clint Eastwood would let me play there since I'm not a member of the exclusive club.  He's a great guy I'm told, but that great. I almost got to play here once, but my daughter quit her job.  Its a long story.

6.  Chambers Bay, Washington State:  It is very expensive and they don't allow carts.  I can't walk a course because of my heart condition--which is getting better by the way if you care and probably don't. If you look at the green fee, I still couldn't afford it.

7. Merion Country Club in Pennsylvania:  Oh how I would love to play this one.  Those wicker basket flag sticks are really cool. The course is very short, but the pros couldn't tame it during the US Open.  Its OK to dream, isn't it?

8.  Shinnecock Hills in New York.  I've always loved this course watching the US Open when it was played there. Its right on the ocean and looks like a links style course. I don't own General Electric and I won't be able to play Shinnecock Hills.

9.  Winged Foot in New York: I have been to New York.  I haven't played Winged Foot.

10.  Seminole in Florida:  Wow!  They even denied Jack Nicklaus a membership.  Now that's exclusive--or just plain stupid.  I added this course because I just couldn't forget Florida.  I like Florida and have played golf there, just not at Seminole.

     Well, there you have it. There are many more that I can put on this list but for the moment these were the ones I was thinking of. I'm sure you have your courses that you would put on this list as well. I didn't put any courses that were not in the US because I didn't want the list to get to long nor did I put on any courses in Hawaii. I'm still hold out hope for St. Andrews in Scotland and Pebble Beach is still doable. My "Want To Play Pebble Beach--Any Donation Accepted" cardboard sign which I hold up and stand on a busy street corner in the heat and cold seems to be working.  I already have $1.95 toward playing Pebble.  Wish me continued luck on that one.
Cherry Island in Elverta, California has a beautiful clubhouse and you can get on the course. Its a beautiful course and it is public.

No comments:

Post a Comment