Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Saturday, October 8, 2016

My "I Want To Play That Course Someday" List That I Did Play Finally

     One of my earlier posts was about the 10 courses on the way somewhere that I want to play. We all have that kind of list. These are courses that we say we want to play and most of the time don't get around to playing.  Mine is still pretty long, but I did get to play some of these courses.
      I recently took some of them off my "I Will Play Someday" to my "I Have Played" list because I did get the opportunity to play them. Some I even went back to play again on another trip.  My "I Will Play Someday" list keeps growing. At some point I will play the ones on that list and I will replace those courses.  You know what? My "I Have Played" list off that "I Will Play" list keeps growing as well. We all know that there enough courses to keep us going for a very long time.
     I know that all that sounded a bit confusing. That's OK, I guess I am a bit confused by it too. At any rate, here is the list of  5 courses that I said I really wanted to play because I would pass by them or be near to them and finally decided to play.  More will be added to that list soon.:

1.  Coronodo Golf Course, Coronado, California: I have been to San Diego many times and there it was, right underneath the San Diego-Coronado Bridge. I kept saying on the Harbor Cruise and when we went to the beach in Coronado "I have to play that someday."  Someday came and it was a treat.  This is one great course that has scenery all around it and is fun to play. Coronodo is always in great shape as well. I like it so much that I did a feature article on in for West Coast Golfer Magazine. When you are in the San Diego area, make sure to put it on your list.  Plan ahead and make a tee time because as you can imagine, the course is very busy.

2.  Balboa Park (The 18 Hole Course), San Diego, California: Yes, it is located in Balboa Park in San Diego.  You turn left to go to the zoo, and right to go to the course. I wasn't sure about this one because it was completely redone in the 90's I think.  I did want to play it though. It is hilly and has some great holes on it.  I do remember one thing about the course.  I was playing with a couple of ladies and I asked about how to play my second shot.  They said just don't hit the ball to the right, there is a baranca there.  So I made sure to hit my ball to the left.  Guess what, there was a baranca on the left as well and I lost my ball. I asked the ladies why they didn't tell me about the baranca on the left and their reply was, you didn't ask. It is a fun course and was in pretty good shape.

3.  Lake Tahoe Golf Course, South Lake Tahoe, California:  As you drive into the South Lake Tahoe Basin you pass a large flat meadow and discover that there is a golf course built in it. You wold think that a golf course built in the mountains would have some hills on it. Not at this course.  It is flat. I drove by it several time as I went to Lake Tahoe the many times I have been there but wondered if I wanted to play it.  It was flat.  It couldn't possibly have any character to it. I was wrong.  What I didn't know until I played it is that the Truckee River runs through the property and cuts across the course in some very strange places. It is a fun course to play and very beautiful with the high mountains of the Sierra and around Lake Tahoe as a backdrop. It is a fun golf course and well worth it.  I never have hit a 5 iron 200 yards or a wedge 140 yards before.

4.  Manteca Park Golf Course, Manteca, California:  I was told so many times when I lived in Fresno that I should play Manteca Park. I finally did and I was glad.  The course is a kick to play and it was in very good condition even though we played it just soon after a heavy rainstorm.  It is short, but I was a bit confused by the high slope. It can't be that tough, why is it rated so high? It was tough.  The fairways are tight and the greens are small. I want to go again soon.

5.  Lake Chabot, Oakland, California:  A par six, are you kidding me.  Nope, the eighteenth hole is a par six and you kind of wonder when you haven't played there why it is a par six. OK, it is 633 yard of pure downhill bliss. The City of Oakland brings in snow and lets people ski down it during the winter. The cart path snakes back and forth through the fairway because if you went straight down the middle of the fairway it is so steep that you probably would turn the cart over.  Needless to say, the rest of the course is hilly as well. It is a fun course and not punitive but the greens are small and the course does get some getting used to. Ask the marshals for some local knowledge, they will help.  Listen to them, they know.

     I have many more courses that can go on this list and I will probably revisit this soon and talk about those courses. But for now, that's it. Don't forget to check out my website http://the-golf-course-travel-bag.com to see some of the courses I played. Take a look at some of my course U-Tube videos and the instruction pages. Until next time, hit 'em long and straight.  Don't forget to not leave that birdie putt short.
Number eighteen at Lake Chabot.  It looks like Lombard Street in San Francisco.

The First Tee at Coronado.

No comments:

Post a Comment