Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Watching The US Open: I Have A Question

     It is Father's Day weekend here in the United States which means it is once again time for golf's greatest tournament, The US Open.  Of course the Brits will dispute this claim and I do apoogize to my British Friends but I am a bit partial. In my opinion, the Brits are a bit conceited in their view on which is the better Open.  I am saying this tongue in cheek because they are both very important tournaments with a lot of history.  With that said, I will continue.
      As I have said, I am an average golfer.  There is one claim that I don't make and that is I am NOT a golf pro. Although my golf knowledge is extensive in a lot of areas, it is not as a golf analyst or teacher.  My views take on a different perspective and as I am watching the coverage and play at the Open my eyes and brain are focused on a few things other than the tournament itself.
      I have to admit it.  I am a commercial watcher.  I look for interesting commercials because they can be entertaining.  One commercial has struck my interest and I need to make a few comments on that commercial.  Its not a criticism just an observation
       The commercial that really has caught my attention is the United States Golf Association commercial--actually set of commercials.  I feel that they are very effective in their message about golf and trying to bring more people to the game showing the benefits and fun of playing the game.  It also shows how golfers are very devoted to the game. The commercial spots are very well done, but I have one question.  Are those commercials only aired during USGA televised events?  Where else are they run to tell the public about golf and what the USGA does?
       We are trying to grow the game of golf.  When I view these commercials I kind of wonder if they are not preaching to the choir.  Since these commercials to my knowledge are only being aired on USGA events when they are televised, are they reaching the non-golfing public who we want to encourage taking up the game?  I do realize that a great number of the viewers of The US Open are non-golfers, but a vast majority of viewers are already playing the game. Running these commercials is an effective way to communicate the important message of the USGA and growing the game of golf but are they effective in bringing in new players? It is a good thing to preach to the choir--those who are already playing golf--but we should also bring that message to non-golfers as well.
       I have not seen these commercials on any other TV programming other than USGA events. Would it be a good thing for the USGA considering running these commercials during other sporting events such as baseball, football or basketball? How about during regular shows and regular television times? I know it is expensive, but we need to spread the word about the game.  We can't keep hiding it with an already accepting audience of golfers. I remember when I was in sales, my sales manager  told me once "Hide it, keep it--show it, sell it".  This is the way it is with the game of golf.  If we just try to spread the word to those are already playing, it feels good but does it bring in new players?  Bringing new players to the game is very important, especially now.
       Television is an effective medium to spread any message. I thank the USGA for what it does to put on these tournaments and for being the governing body for the game of golf in The United States. The commercials on the telecast are very well done and effective.  I only wonder if they are reaching non-golfers and bringing them into the game, or are they just preaching to the choir of those already playing the game. I do want to say overall, Well done USGA.
It wasn't the US Open, but it sure was a lot of fun to play in.  No TV coverage though.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment