Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

No Mulligans, Well Maybe

 What do I think about mulligan's?  Am I fiercely opposed to the idea?  Does the idea of taking a shot over again because of the poor outcome of a shot mean that "overs" should be allowed? Tennis has it's second serve.  Why not a second drive in golf?
      I understand that golf is not tennis. When you hit a bad drive or a shot into the water hazard you have hit a shot into the water hazard and should accept your fate. I do it all the time but I don't use a second ball. You don't get a second chance.  It sounds like I am against mulligans.  I admit that I very rarely if at all take a mulligan let alone count it on my scorecard.  I don't want to sound like a snob when I say this about my own game. I just prefer not to use them.  It can be said that mulligans are part of the game and up to the individual golfer.
      The circumstances of your round come into play here.  Of course mulligans have no place in competitive association sanctioned events and club events which are played for prizes or whatever.  What about that 25 cent skin game you play in your foursome?  Is it allowable for the other "sharks" in your Monday, Wednesday and Friday senior skin game group--you know who you are--to take a mulligan just to win a hole or to make him or her feel better?  Why not, if that is allowable within the rules that the foursome has set up and has allowed one mulligan.  This is not the U.S. Open for crying out loud. However, the status of that person in the group may suffer considerably. But we are here to have fun, right?
       Let's remember that this is a game.  It is a game that we need to enjoy.  The rules of golf are the foundation of the game, but our rule book can read like the federal tax code.  We break the rules whenever we play and don't even realize it. The rules should be followed to the best of our knowledge.  The game is about honor but it is also about fun.
      What's wrong with one mulligan a round?  Depending on the reason for your round, if it is just for fun or has been agreed to by the rest of the members in your quarter skin game, nothing. I don't know if I have clearly stated my case here about mulligans.  Forget what I have written so far.  Let's start all over again.  I am choosing to take my mulligan.
       I am very excited about the post for tomorrow.  I was on Mark's radio show yesterday as a sort of co-host and we had a couple of interesting guests on the show.
Oh no, its in the water.  I said, NO MULLIGANS!

No comments:

Post a Comment