Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Ten Reasons Why I Play Golf

   I was listening to a radio broadcast last night on my way home from a trip, and the subject was how this generation of children growing up never suffer from boredom.  With all digital virtual world that our children live in, there is very little time to just sit there and be bored. There is no "down time" for the brain, and creativity is not given time to grow because their brain is always on. It's an interesting idea, and I don't want to discuss or debate the full intricacies of the argument but the idea has merit.  The bottom line was the speakers son took up golf and loved it because it was natural and creative.
     This got me thinking. Why do I love golf so much?  Here are ten reasons:

1. Golf is natural. You are playing it and it is unfolding as you play. You are not playing a microchip, but experiencing a game that is real, not created in cyberspace. Besides, there is nothing like the natural sound of a club, any club, striking the ball on a good shot. One of the best natural sounds in the world is that of a golf ball dropping into the cup for a birdie. That lake is real, not cyberwater.

2.  Golf exercises your creativity and imagination, and in a real way. How do I hit that shot around the tree and get the ball to the green? Believe me, I have had to do that on several occasions. Do I carry out the shot every time, no.  I still have to create the shot in my mind. Whether I pull it off may be fantasy, but I still have to think it up.  Again, this is all real, not cyberspace.

3.  Golf is good exercise. Whether you walk and carry, walk and pull a cart or ride in a golf cart, golf is exercise.  There is a lot of physical activity involved in swinging that club. You still have to swing a club and hit a ball. Even if you ride a cart, you still have to get out of the cart and hit the ball and do't forget walking from the cart to the tee, or the cart up to the green and depending on some greens keepers and where they put the cart signs, that can be quite a hike.

4.   Golf is played in the real outdoors on some very beautiful pieces of land. This is true wherever the course is. The worst "goat track" still is much prettier than a city alley. It is real as opposed to created in cyberspace. If you have played The Club at Crazy Horse Ranch, Stevinson Ranch, DeLaveaga or Coronado, you know what I mean. Go to my You Tube Video page on my website http://the-golf-course-travel-bag.com and see what I mean. These are real sights, sounds and smells.

5.  Staying along with #4 I give you this reason.  Golf courses are located in some very beautiful places.  Have you ever played Trump National Los Angeles or Pacific Grove Muni? You almost can forget your game and slip into the trance of the surroundings. All this beautiful scenery, and a golf course too. Life doesn't get any better.

6.  You can travel to the places where the golf courses are located. Yes, you can play your wonderful local golf course or you can go to other  places.  I can drive to Monterey and play a course there. Not only do I get to play golf, but I get to enjoy what the city of Monterey, or wherever has to offer.  How about a box of carmel corn from the pier or a seafood dinner with some exceptional clam chowder.  What does cyberchowder taste like anyway?

7.  You use real strategy when you play golf. You don't use a controller to hit the ball, you use a real stick to hit a real ball.  You get the true feeling of a stick impacting the ball. You get the true emotion of hitting a real shot, not a cyber shot. In this, it takes real skill to hit the ball where you want it to go. It takes real skill to drive, hit an iron, chip and putt. With this real skill comes the real emotion of playing the game that is real. What do I do to keep the ball out of the lake?  How do I shape the shot to go around the dog leg?  You get real feedback from the real world that is not possible in the cyber world.

8.  There is more to golf than just hitting a ball and putting in in the hole. There is the "emotion" of golf.  How do you feel after you hit a great shot?  What do you you do when you hit a bad shot? This emotion is real, not created in a cyber world. How many of you have lost a $5 ProV1 in a water hazzard because you shanked a shot?  You know what I'm talking about.

9.  You can get away from the world in a real way for five hours. There are no computers except GPS devices out here. The main computer is left in the pro shop. By the way, turn your cell phones off, please.
Golf can be a refuge from our busy digital world. That is one of the reasons that I think golf will come back. People are tired of the digital world and are searching for a real world.  Golf can provide that real world.

10.  Golf is meant to be played with friends. What did the first players do when they played?  They took a fifth of whiskey and shared it. That is where we get 18 holes, the time a fifth would last share among four golfers. There is nothing like sharing a round with a friend or even making new friends on the course. What about the 19th hole where you swap stories about the round?  "Tis a wonderful thing, laddie.

     That's about it. I guess that I didn't share how I like that golf is also mano-y-mano as well.  You are not playing against someone, you are playing the course.  After all this, I think it boils down to one thing as far as why I enjoy golf so much. It is a heck of a lot of fun.
     Don't forget to stop by my website http://golfisforeveryonemd.com and check out the site. There will be more soon. We have begun our GoFundMe campaign to help expand our message and implement our mission at Golf Is For Everyone.  Would you please consider a donation on our GoFundMe page at https://www.gofundme.com/226wms7w.  We would appreciate the help in growing the game of golf.  In the meantime, hit 'em long and straight, don't leave that birdie putt short.

Need I say anything more?

No comments:

Post a Comment