Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Monday, January 16, 2017

No Golf Today--Too Cold And Foggy

     When is it too cold and damp to play golf.  The answer to that in my younger days was it's never too cold or foggy.  There was a day in a cold January that I even played in a rare Central Valley of California snow storm. Those were the days my friend and I thought they would never end--Thank you Maryanne Faithful.  Things have changed as I have aged. I confess that I have a different attitude and has gone from a "Let's do this" to more of an attitude of Danny Glover's character in Lethal Weapon when he says "I'm getting too old for this sh..."  Times they are a changing my friend.
     We have had a wet and cold winter here where I live. Today's high temperature will soar to about 48 degrees--Fahrenheit by the way--and we will not see the sun due to a persistent winter overcast that forms and stays until a rainstorm breaks it down. I realize that is a heat wave in some parts of the world in winter, but it is still cold and damp. If you live in the Southern Hemisphere and are reading this you are probably in shorts enjoying the warm weather.  Enjoy it while you can because your winter is coming sooner than you think.  I thought I would throw that in there.  Here where I live, you can still play golf, but you have to bring out the thermal underwear and layer your clothing. You can still play though.  At this point, I prefer 55 degrees or warmer and sunny.
     My wife and I had a tee time for today which I made last week when the sun was still shining. The fog rolled in Friday and stayed for its annual Central California California vacation.  The past few years it went somewhere else, but this year it is back.  Saturday and Sunday it stayed cold and got even colder and foggier, although the fog never got on the ground here yesterday.  It was still cold.  I asked my wife if she still wanted to play even though it was cold.  She said, "Yes, kind of but I am really tired and haven't had an occasion to rest this weekend."  I am getting very good at translating wife speak so I know that she didn't want to disappoint me.  Truth is, I didn't want to go in the cold myself. I canceled the tee time.  We might go see a movie in a nice warm theater. Its cold out there.
     For those of you on the East Coast or who live in areas that the courses shut down because of the snow, please don't get mad at me.  You are probably saying that my wife and I are wusses and you are envious of us here in this part of the country being able to play during the winter.  Well, I am envious of my partner Mark who lives in Yuma, Arizona where the sun is shining and it is probably in the 60's.  We may not see the sun until Mid-March or April here in the Central Valley. Brrrrr...Its cold out there.  I'm getting too old for playing in the cold like this.  I can handle cold and frost because usually the sun comes out even though it is cold.  When it is overcast, dreary and cold like this my bones are no longer taking the conditions. Hey honey, what do you want to see today?
Yep, that's what its like out there today.  Most of all, its cold.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment