Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Golf Truly Is For Everyone

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

An Open Letter To Golf Pros About Lessons

     I am writing this as an eighteen handicapper.  My game, as I said in an earlier post is good, but I do have the potential to get better.  The question has come up many times and from many people especially those I respect and admire (Mark, Wayne, Phil, Brad, Matt, Tom and all the rest of my FaceBook Golf Pro Friends) as to why I don't take a lesson from my local pro.  There are a few reasons why I do not, and when I am on the golf course I hear the same reasons from many of the players whom I am playing a round of golf with. As a journalist, I ask the question to of course see what the answer is.  I don't want to offend anyone, but here are some of those reasons, many of which I share with the average golfer.
     Here goes, and that is not to say that I shouldn't take a few lessons.  I am not anti lesson, far from that.  I think what it all boils down to is commitment.  That is not a commitment to the game, that is a commitment to time and to the funds that it takes to devote not only to the process of improving, but to the time and financial constraints of taking lessons.  Is the time and money spent on lessons worth it to me? For me, it doesn't, and I know that to many that statement is almost a sacriledge. Keep in mind that many of us feel the same way.  I understand that my feelings here may be contrary to the logic of improving my game, but I am being realistic.
     Let me explain how I feel, and I am sure that many recreational golfers feel the same way.  The statement I am about to make will clear a lot up.  I will never be a scratch golfer. I would like to be, but I have a life that gets in the way of that pursuit. When I go out to play golf, even if I have a bad round I enjoy myself.  First of all, I don't know how I am going to play or what I am going to shoot. It is an adventure.  Sometimes I hit some shots that amaze even myself, others other shots I wonder if I have ever played this game before. Each round is different. That's the beauty of it.  I have the potential to be a better golfer and score much lower, but I don't have the time to practice.  Life gets in the way, life and the fact that we only have one car and my wife uses it for work. Getting to the course to play or practice can be a major undertaking.
     I am sixty two years old.  You have heard the saying you can't teach old dogs new tricks.  That statement is very true.  It takes a long time to engraine a new concept or move into my golf game.  Changes take practice and time.  In the meantime, putting those changes in practice on the golf course takes a lot of sacrifice and frustration in order to make them permanent and while I am putting those changes in place, those changes take time really messing up my game when I am playing. I'm getting too old for this.  I want to go out and play as my time on this earth is limited. Improvement is a great thing, but I am never going to play on tour. I like where I am at and lack the patience to do that which will improve my game.
     Cost is also a factor.  In my case, I just don't see where it is a good return on my investment of the cost of lessons to take a lesson or two.  Don't get me wrong. If my game goes to heck in a hand basket or there are major changes in my physical makeup and I have to change something or not play, I will take a lesson to steady the ship. I won't take a lesson just to shave a few strokes off my scores. There won't be a significant improvement in my scores, just a marginal moving of the dial should I take a lesson.  I have to ask myself if that $40 and hour is worth the cost when I could go out and play, probably fixing whatever problem or hitch I have developed by myself. If I can't figure it out, there is always YouTube (Of course I say that facetiously.). Besides, I am not going to spend the time on the range to make any significant changes that are suggested by a qualified professional.
     One last thought here on the cost of lessons that I would like to share. I have to make a choice since I am a senior and live on a fixed income.  That choice is a major one.  Do I spend money on lessons or do I take that $40 and spend it on green fees?  Think about that for a minute.  In our household every dollar counts.  I have to justify playing golf, let alone springing for a golf lesson. I'd rather play golf. It seems to be just that simple.
      One last thought about this that I will share.  Which teacher and what philosophy of golf learning do I seek out?  There are many and I am confused.  There are the "Naturalists" and then there are the "Technocrats".  The Naturalists boil down to a philosophy of keeping it simple.  The Technocrats uses every bit of technology they can get their hands on and boil the swing and the game down into nanoseconds and very minute moves.  Where do I go for instruction. Who do I listen to? Which school of golf teaching is correct. It seems as though most golf pros and teachers can't decide how the are going to teach the game and don't know when what they are teaching is not enough or when it is too much.  This old guy doesn't want to sort it out, but I just want to play and that's it. It makes for some great conversation but how important is it?
     I want to say again here and EMPHATICALLY that I am not saying don't take lessons.  If you have a problem in your game by all means see a professional. I strongly recommend it, especially if you are just starting out in the game. I am just stating why I personally don't take lessons.  If you feel that you need a lesson, by all means take one or two. I'm definitely not an expert on this, but I do know my game and what I want from it. Right now I enjoy the game of golf and how I play it.  Yes, I do have my ups and downs as far as scores are concerned and how I hit the ball. Change is hard for me and I just want to go out and play golf. Is that too much to ask?
I said I don't take lessons.  I didn't say I don't try to learn as much about the game as I can.  This is Rick, a pro that was on board a cruise I was on.  I learned a lot from him. 
  
         

No comments:

Post a Comment